Rust Prevention

Guest SEgan

Guest SEgan

Looking under my car after a winter of salty roads and a wet summer it is clear that I need to re-treat my donor 'bits' (mainly the rear suspension set-up) and some of the bare "stainless" tubes under the wheel arches.

I was going to Underseal with waxoyl underseal and then waxoyl over the top for good measure, but reading about product tests on the internet I have come across a product called 'MIKE SANDER'S Rust Prevention Grease' has anyone got experience of this product?

Also if I do go down the underseal route is it best to apply over a coat of a metal paint like Hammerite or straight to the metal?

and finally: My rear suspension coil-overs bolt-up to the hole in the rear suspension lower arm, this was originally a drainage hole but it is now sealed so effectively that after driving in the wet I have two homes for stray goldfish, this has caused some corrosion. Has anyone drilled new drainage holes or will this weaken the mounting point?

Many thanks in advance for any opinions and advice offered. :D

Guest chris brown
Looking under my car after a winter of salty roads and a wet summer it is clear that I need to re-treat my donor 'bits' (mainly the rear suspension set-up) and some of the bare "stainless" tubes under the wheel arches.

I was going to Underseal with waxoyl underseal and then waxoyl over the top for good measure, but reading about product tests on the internet I have come across a product called 'MIKE SANDER'S Rust Prevention Grease' has anyone got experience of this product?

Also if I do go down the underseal route is it best to apply over a coat of a metal paint like Hammerite or straight to the metal?

and finally: My rear suspension coil-overs bolt-up to the hole in the rear suspension lower arm, this was originally a drainage hole but it is now sealed so effectively that after driving in the wet I have two homes for stray goldfish, this has caused some corrosion. Has anyone drilled new drainage holes or will this weaken the mounting point?

Many thanks in advance for any opinions and advice offered. :D

First. I've never heard of ‘MIKE SANDER'S Rust Prevention Grease' but it sounds by the name to be similar to Waxoil which I rate highly

Second. Keep Hammerite for painting your metal fences and gates and NEVER use it on any part of a car as it causes more rust than it prevents.

Third. RHE did at one time recommend drilling small "drainage" holes in any part of the chassis that was likely to collect water so while you are doing the mounts (a small drainage hole wont significantly weaken it) also drill the lowest points on the chassis including the plough unless it has already worn through on speed bumps as others have done.

Hi all, on Ford's rear trailing arms I have replaced RH bracket with 2 ears welded to the "cup" either side of hole thus retaining drainage and getting a better fit to shock eye fixing ; material used 40#3mm mild steel. I have also remade top tube brackets from the top of the Mac struts removed from the front of donor plus welded-on ears as above; cleaned-up these tubes are a sliding fit so use Copperslip or similar on assembly. regards Bob & Mo :friends: