Subk Crossmember

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Guest FIRSTBUILD

Hi my Dec 02 sub k hasnt got a crossmeber tube going across the chassis where the radiator would mount - I only noticed this whilst watching the videos - on the video he has used the tube to fit the bonnet safety catch on to and the rad is fixed to it - has anyone else got a sub k with out this tube please ??

Guest Lindsay

Hi steve

You should have 3 cross members , 1 where the steering rack attaches to, 1 furthest forward approx 1/2 way up the chassis tubes and 1 across the top joing the suspension arms.

Hope this helps.

Lindsay

As Lindsay says, there should be 3 tubes, one at the top, one in the middle and the one that the stearing rack bolts to is hidden behind my stearing rack on this picture.

post-5-1065688032.jpg

Guest FIRSTBUILD

thanks for the help/picture - I have sent a picture to RHE because I definately only have two tubes going across the chassis and the top one is missing, I will let you know their response. Steve Hall

post-5-1065734831.jpg

OOOO that's wrong. Surly the top tube is a stressed member and when it's on it's wheels it stops the top chassis tubes from comming closer together. We'll all be interested to hear RHS responce.

Do they replace the chassis? you've already done a lot of work to the one you've got :(

Do they come out and weld a new tube in? :)

Do they say it'll be okay as it is? :o

If you join the owners club then I'm sure you'll get lots more backup if you need it.

Guest gordon_macnab

I wouldn't worry about the strength of the chassis as your chassis is slightly different . The foremost tube of the top mount for the chassis is bent down and attached to the side tubes as apposed to going horizontal and mating to the other side.

There's obvoiusly been a change in the design. All it means is you'll have to fit the top of the radiator to the side tubes and it'll probably give you more scope for better positioning of the radiator.

Cheers

Gordon

Looking at your chassis and comparing it with the chassis in the RH brochure it appears that it is a change in design as Gordon pointed out.

This will most probably be the answer you get from RH, and that the chassis is correct.

But, as I tend to agree with Guy about there being a lot of stress pushing in on the top tubes especially if you go over lots of big bumps.

Personally I think I would fit a brace in between the top tubes in a position to suit the fitting of the radiator.

Les

As far as I can see the upper suspension mounting tubes on Steves car (painted white in his picture) are exactly the same as mine. The only difference I can see in my chassis and his is i've got an extra cross member.

I bought my Sub-K only 2 months after Steves.

Have a look at Feeks chassis, it's the same as mine.Click hear

Aye, 'tis true. I was about to post a piccy, but Guy beat me (as in he was faster, not as in he hit me). Anyway Guy's picture's better... :D

This is mine just for further illustration...

[Edit - Curses! Where is the picture...?]

ttfn,

F.

post-5-1065790703.jpg

Guest mkeats02

Hey, I got my kit in nov 02, and i appear to be missing the crossmember that the radiator picks up on also, I noticed the chassis was different to that of the one in the brochure, but never gave it much thought till I saw this topic. :gdit:

Looks like Richard changed the design of the suspension front tube taking it down to the bottom side tube instead of going across the between the top tubes as on the original design (hence, no tube bracing the top side tubes) then decided to add the cross tube to support the top side tubes to beef the chassis up again after christmas.

Les