Anonying Noise

Guest Tim Norman

Guest Tim Norman

WTF!

Anyhoo does anybody know how much for a set of CV joints just in case the "Ram it full of Grease" approach doesn't cure one of the bloody annoying noises my car is giving me?

Guest Tim Norman

Mr bad luck has returned in full force. One of the annoying noises has been identified as a dry squeak by the bloke who built the engine. It is either the spiggot bearing or the clutch release bearing. The engine will be out on Saturday.

I AM QUITE UPSET. :cray:

Guest Ian & Carole

Hope you are a good catcher because if you walk passed the car and whistle it will be by your feet :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Seriously though Tim if thats all it is it will be a quick / cheap fix.

All the best and if you need a lift just ask.

Ian J

Guest Tim Norman

If I have anymore teething problems I'll end up toothless. The dry squeak is in addition to the knackered driveshafts. Hopefully, once I have fixed those two things I might have a car I can just drive and enjoy. The old engine took some revenge on me earlier. Whilst taking off the old starter motor the spanner slipeed and my index finger did some DIY butchery on the block. Isn't knuckle bone shiney white.............until the blood starts to flow. Alice nearly threw up when I asked if she could explain why the knuckle wasn't bleeding but the big flap of skin hanging off was bleeding on the inside! :o

All this two weeks from Donington. Looks like Little Bob will be getting more miles under his belt than Bobson again this year.

Guest Tim Norman

Engine has been out and there is nothing wrong with either the spiggot bush or the clutch release bearing. So it is back in again. However, the little dry squeak is also still there. Having spoken to the engine supplier he won't let me drive the car until he has spoken to the engine builder. There is an outside chance that the engine may have to go back to Rover! Oh and the engine builder is on holiday for three weeks

Does anyone know if the CV joints on the drive shaft are the same inborad as outboard?

Guest Tim Norman

RESULT

Turns out the squeak was air. The Carb drags fumes out of the right hand rocker via 10mm pipe. One would assume the corresponding hole to let air in on the left bank would be a similar size. Not so it is actually 1mm.

This leads to a massive pressure difference which at tickover manifests itself as a squeak.

However before I discovered this I had stripped the rear suspension and changed to coil overs and knocked out the front wheel studs and replaced them with longer ones in anticipation of the 17" alloys. This means I don't have enough nuts, the locking nuts won't fit the new longer studs with the old wheels. So I still can't drive it until Friday. :D