Carbs

Guest Lew

I have a ford 1.8 OHC sierra engine, i am currently looking to fit it with some beefy carbs, however i am new to this game and do not know which to fit, i would be gratefull if someone could voice they're opinion,

Lew

If you want the max power achievable on your current engine, fit

Twin DCOE carbs, they are twin choke carbs that flow huge amouts of air.

Search on Ebay for 'Weber DCOE', and youll find some pics and how much they'll likely to be..

You will need 2x DCOE's and a new manifold to fit them.

The size of choke you want to be looking for will be 40mm, eg.' Twin 40' as people often refer to them as. any bigger that 40mm, bigger than this and you will not see any gain in flow.

gd luck

tak.

Guest Bob Green

Firstly, can I say this is a very informative web site. Having a Pinto engine in my car I have picked up some useful information.

Picking up on Takumi's comment, "twin 40's" are not the size of the choke but the diameter of the carb throat. The choke size can be variable in 1mm steps from 26mm to 36mm. 40 DCOE's are good for engines up to 150bhp but anything after that, 45 DCOE are required to allow the correct air flow and venturi effect.

To give an example, 36mm chokes are OK in 40 DCOE but you are not getting a good venturi effect (4mm difference between the choke size and carb throat size). Further to this there is a restriction of the throttle spindle of maybe 8-10mm.

36mm chokes in 45 DCOE's will give a superior venturi effect with a lesser throttle spindle restriction.

Having said all this, it depends on what you want from your car in terms of drivability and power. For a quick car with good fuel consumption, the Ford carb is the way to go. For a fast car and total disregard of fuel consumption, twin 45 DCOE's are the one's.

Dare I say this but I have a Westfield (sorry) with a heavily modified 2ltr Pinto. driving "normally" can return 28 mpg on a run but drive it "with spirit" will drop the fuel consumption down to single figures.

I hope this helps.