Rivets

Guest Mike Perry

Guest Mike Perry

I know that a similar question has been asked previously, but I can't find the thread.

We are building a 2b mild steel chassis and SS panels.

Approx how many rivets am I going to need and what sizes should I use? I know that stainless steel rivets are preferable to ali.

Also, do any of you know of any suppliers with keen prices?

I used 3.2x8mm for joining panels to other panels. 3.2x10mm for panels to chassis where strength is not too important (eg firewall, boot, seat back etc) and 4.8x10mm for floor and side panels. I bought mine from Tifosi-Devon. Supplier is helpful, friendly and prompt. May not be the cheapest, but he's cheaper than most. Get 150 or each size and take it from there. I used set screws for bonnet to nosecone joint elsewhere where a decorative top side is a plus, where I can get at the back and where I think I may have to remove them for maintenance or repair. Drilling out rivets is easy enough, but the loose ends rattle in the chassis tubes after a bit, and there's a risk of scratching the panel around it - especially if the drill bit breaks. No such problems with set screws.

Ant

Guest johnhanks

Why pay Tifosi prices? have a look in a Screwfix catalogue, they are about 7 quid for 1000 & their bolts screws nuts etc. are dead cheap as well - no I'm not on commission I just think they are good value!