1600 Pinto Carb

series3

Hi all,

My dad has a weber emissions carb on his 1600 pinto and we are having a few problems in 4th and 5th gear. When you are trying to maintain a steady speed of about 35-45, depending on gear, you get a sort of splutter. I cannot describe anymore than other that a jerking of the car, like the fuel has just been cut!!

We have been told to get rid of the emissions carb, and get a 32/36 DGAV, as i dont feel that the car is running right to be honest as it does not like accelerating in 4th or 5th. For a car that weighs less than a ton, and 1600 engine i expected it to be quicker.

According to my dad the fueling is spot on as its been set by him using the proper equipment, but do we need to do anymore to it to compensate having less weight??

Any replies would be greatly appreciated

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DarrylWebb

There's no need to modify the carb or fueling for lighter weight vehicles. If you think you have the fueling right, it might be worth checking the carb. Maybe a simple strip down and clean out of the carb might help? You haven't altered the jetting or any internals? I used to have a Westfield that didn't react well to acceleration after overrun, and it was down to the setup of the carbs.