Stainless Brake Lines

Guest Daren.F

Guest Daren.F

I am fitting disk brakes to the rear of my 2b and intend to use braided stainless steel hoses, the existing set up (xr4*4) uses a short section of copper pipe on the wishbone between the two flexable rubber hoses.

My Question is, can I do away with the copper pipe and just use one slightly longer braided hose.(900mm)

I assume the reason for the copper tube is to minimise hose swell when using the original hoses, or is there a maximum lenght of flexy hose allowed.

Where is the best place to buy the stainless hoses

And Jim, don't even think of asking why I want disks on the rear of my seven ;)

Daren

I don't see why you can't just use a long section of flexi, but bear in mind the following:

- All flexi hose expands to some extent, as does copper but to a lesser amount. the shorter the flexi the better

- Long flexi pipes tend to cause trouble at SVA. They must be restrained to keep them out of the way of things like the coil spring through all movements. It's easier to do this with shorter lengths

- Longer flexi hoses are more expensive.

With stainless braided hoses some are not rated for everyday long term road use. Watch out for these.

I bought my front hoses from BGC motorsport. They arrived promptly and are of very good quality - and suitable for long term road use. They're competitavely priced too.

Ant

Guest Daren.F

Thanks Ant

I priced lines at BGC They seem reasonable.

The longer line on the rear is cheeper than two short lines and I dont have to make a section of copper and two bulkhead brackets.This is the plan today!

Does any one have any experiences of rear wheels locking up with disks and has anyone used a brake bias valves to adjust the balance, rear to front.