Should The Engine Sit Level?

Guest sim

been working on car today and noticed something that didn't seem quite right

the engine dosn't sit level it seems to be about a inch lower at the front not sure if this is normal or not

only way i could see for rectifying it is put some spacers under the gearbox mounting to pull the box down at the back and should lift the front up slightly only prob is theres only about half a inch clearence from box to chassis rail so lowering back of box any more will prob cause it to rattle on chassis rail as it is at moment dosn't look like the stearing shaft will clear the exhaust manifold

any ideas guys

cheers

si

Guest old_timbo

My engine (Pinto) in my 2B is lower at the front than at the rear by about 10mm, and had to be once everything was lined up correctly. Trouble is the crankshaft / gearbox centre line should be inline or parallel to the centreline through the diff. to prevent vibrations in the drive shaft. So altering the engine tilt should mean you need to change the diff. tilt or vice versa.

Unfortunately the build instructions don't tell you about this alignment requirement, so unless you have looked into this in the past, your first step needs to be checking how things line up at the moment.

Tim

Guest Dee Jay
been working on car today and noticed something that didn't seem quite right

the engine dosn't sit level it seems to be about a inch lower at the front not sure if this is normal or not

only way i could see for rectifying it is put some spacers under the gearbox mounting to pull the box down at the back and should lift the front up slightly only prob is theres only about half a inch clearence from box to chassis rail so lowering back of box any more will prob cause it to rattle on chassis rail as it is at moment dosn't look like the stearing shaft will clear the exhaust manifold

any ideas guys

cheers

si

Hi, My engine a Twincam Ford 2.0i points downhill a bit, no problems with this at all so far.

dave

Thanks for the replies guys

looks like i was worrying about nothing then

just hope the stearing column clears the exhaust looking at it there don't seem much room with the 4 branch exhaust

if anybody has pics of the column assembly with 4 branch could you post them so i can take a look

cheers

si