Asymmetric Steering Rack?

Guest jwts

John

You need to get the bottom wish bone parrallel to the ground, then have a look at the angle of the steering arm.

When on the road you want to achive horizontal lower wish bones. (or as near as you can)

If I were you I would remove the coilovers for now and just fiddle with the wish bones on a jack.

When you are happy with every thing offer up the shocks and see what needs to be done with them.

Priority at the moment is wish bones and rack position, in my opinion anyway.

Ian J

Ian,

I'm becoming convinced that the problem will go away with a little use. The car has been sitting around (maybe some of the time on axle stands) for 3 years and everything is stiff. Also when it is lowered off the jacks the suspension stays quite high because for it to settle correctly the wheels would need to move sideways but obviously they can’t without the car moving! I'll refit the wheels and push it out of the garage whilst waggling the steering wheel and see if the bottom wishbones flatten out more.

Thanks for all the advice, I'll come back if the problem persists.

John.

You cannot set the steering geometry until the car is completed and all the weight is on the car as that will change how it sits.

Once the car is completed then you will find that the ball joints will not touch the lower arms, especially not when driving as the weight of the car will hold the suspension down and the only way that you would ever get teh suspension to touch is if you try your car off the end of s ski jump - not advisable.

I originally set up (and passed the SVA) with the track rod ends put in upside down, this caused tremendous bump steer, but allowed me to have the car up on axle stands with out fear of parts hitting each other while building. I then changed it the correct way round and drove beautifully. :D

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi John

Ignore where the out board end of the coilover is, it is due to be moved futher out board this spring.

But the parallel to road wishbone and steering arm can be seen in this pic.

DSC01150.jpg

But this is fully loaded.

HTHs

Ian J