Bad Phorm

Mat-Moo

It's not ofter I write anything odd in the news, but the Phorm ideas and system has me very concerned about my privacy, and I believe should NOT be used. Some details for you :- (Taken from http://www.badphorm.co.uk)

• Who is Phorm anyway?
    Phorm is an internet marketing company. They make money by selling advertising on web pages to various companies through their brokerage which they call the Open Internet Exchange (OIX). You can find out more about Phorm and the OIX from their website (http://www.phorm.com) but beware of the marketing-speak!

• What's so different about that, google has been doing it for years!
    Google's advertising relies solely on Google's own database to 'target' it's adverts. It does this based on the content of the page you're viewing, and doesn't use any kind of browsing history unless you specifically opt-in (by creating a Google account). Phorm on the other hand targets it's advertising based solely on your browsing history, which it collects direct from your ISP. You can opt-out of Phorm's tracking by allowing a cookie to be set on your PC.

• So you're saying I'm automatically opted in?
    Yes. If your ISP is Virgin Media, BT or Talk Talk, your browsing details WILL be sent to Phorm by default, you will require to disable the Phorm system by opting out on every browser that uses your network connection. There is no way to 'globaly opt out' of the Phorm system.

• So what do they actually see?
    Phorm doesn't just see the URL of every page you visit, they see the entire content of every single web page (with the exception of encrypted pages). That means they can read your mail if you use most types of webmail, view all the posts you make or read on web forums, obtain the content of most webforms you complete, in fact just about anything you do on the web that is not encrypted can be hoovered up by Phorm. Phorm claim they do not store this information for more than 14 days.

• What do they store?
    According to their website, Phorm store an aggregate history of your browsing, not a detailed history of each page you visit. Even so, such a history would reveal considerable detail about your browsing and potentially about your personal life.

• Can this history be tied to my identity?
    Phorm claim they do not store any personally identifiable information (including IP addresses) or interface with any ISP systems that would allow them to identify you, however they assign each user a unique 'tracking ID' which relates directly to their browsing profile. If someone connected the ID to any piece of personally identifying information your browsing history would no longer be anonymous.

• I heard Phorm was associated with a rootkit, is that true?
    Phorm is not, however their predecessor company (121 Media) was. This has been confirmed by Phorm's current CEO, who was also involved with 121 Media.

• Someone said Phorm was linked to Russia, is it true?
    Yes, there is a clear link between Phorm and Russia. Phorm employ Russian programmers ("The development team for the new software was recruited from Moscow's elite Lebedev Institute of Precision Mechanics and Computer Engineering, a vital part of of the Cold War spying effort and still a centre for developing Russia's 'national security' computer systems." - Mail on Sunday article) and have been indirectly linked to the Russian security services by a Mail on Sunday article (full article is here)

So if you have ever had spyware stuck on your PC that has cost you time, money and agro to sort, then these are the guys that the ISPS are handing over every bit of data (almost) that you look at on the web. To put it another way, it's like the Royal Mail opening all your letters so they can send better targeted junk mail to you!

If you would like to sign the Downing street petition, please visit http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/ - Sorry for my intrusion :)