Sharp Edges On Pannels

Guest Guy

With regards to the stiffener panel that goes on the top of the bonnet and sits flush to it, there is a sharp edge round the outside. The panel is now riveted on so how have you all covered the sharp edge?

This also applies to the nosecone infill panels.

I didn't do anything with mine and they passed. The edge must project a certain distance before it needs radiusing. If the SVA men complain then a line of silicon sealant around the edge, smoothed over with your finger should do the trick.

I recently faild SVA but not on panels. However the guy did pick up on the steel edge on the rear mudguards where it joins the fibreglass. I have put silicone on mine just to satisfy them. If you run two parallel lines of masking tape each side of the join and smooth the silicone down with your finger then remove the tape after about five minutes the finish is quite neat.

Good luck

Peter

I left the bonnet strenghtener and nose cone infil panel as they were, like Ant did and had no problems.

I didn't like the edge on the rear wing where it meets the fibreglass so I fitted the small mini plastic chrome trim over the edge of the stainless steel, nice tight fit and it looks good.

Les

Guest gordon_macnab

Guy

A few people have failed SVA by putting tape over this joint as it's not permanent, best way is to fit some small tadpole beading in between. I did for mine and it doesn't look too bad infact I didn't bother removing it after SVA.

Gordon

Thats a good idea, they sell small 'P' shaped draft excluder that would do it, mabe I'll change the tape for that.

What about rivets, does the head of a rivet in the bodywork need to be covered?

What about rivets, does the head of a rivet in the bodywork need to be covered?

I think we need a rules check here. I've not heard of any cars failing for edges on rivet heads! My understanding is that projections only have to be radiused if they protrude by more than a certain amount. I canb't remember what the numbers are, but it's certainly more than 1 or 2mm. All of the edges we're discussing on here project by less than this. Hence many cars pass without doing anything to them what so ever.

By all means make it look cosmetically pleasing - you have to be happy with the finish on your car, but when it comes to SVA read the rules rather than guessing.

Ant

I had a quick look through my SVA manual notes and it seems that projections over 5mm above the surrounding area must be radiused. So that means that where the steel meets the fibreglass is actually exempt because it's only about 1mm, but cover it if you want peace of mind for SVA, I did.

Peter