Where Do You Route The Wiring Loom..?

Guest Twoscoops

Guest Twoscoops

Hi All

I need help with regards to routing the wire through the back panel and through the firewall.

I haven't made up my mind yet whether to send it down the outside of the tunnel or the outside of the car....but where do I put it through the firewall. What is the hole and the 'V' shaped cut out for...???

I'm all confused...!! :(

Guest Paul Gretton

The V shape cutout in the firewall is to allow clearance for the join in the bonnet and the hole is for heater hoses.

As for the wiring loom (RHE Vicky Green one) I started by finding the handbrake warning switch lead which is about in the centre than ran the rear wiring up the top of the tunnel tubes. Be careful not to drill through it when fitting tunnel top and make sure it is securely tied down. I took photos just in case SVA wanted proof.

I'm actually building a Sub K but I think that a 2B would be similar and the front engine bay part of the wiring I ran through the firewall where it turns back towards the passengers side compartment, parallell to but above the tunnel side panel and then ran it down the sloping chassis rail, connecting up whatever on the way.

Have fun connecting the steering column stalks, I haven't cracked it yet even with reference to all the loom charts, websites etc.

Paul.

Guest TerryBarry

Using the Sierra loom, I've mounted the fuse box on the back of the firewall above the gearbox.

Front feed goes across car and into engine compartment through passengers footwell for engine feed and along-side battery running down chassis tube to feed light units, indicators and alternator. I've reversed off & nearside feeds to front light units as compared with Sierra - just need to switch indicator feeds back again.

Rear feed goes through transmission tunnel in flexible conduit comes out in "boot" area and splits into three to feed off & nearside lights and central feed to fuel sender and number plate lights.

There was enough wire in the rear feeds to wire up a attached trailer - so the exact route doesn't really matter.

I've separated out the heater and wiper feeds from the main harness to go to these units when positioned behind the dash.

Dashboard, instrument and column switch wiring all runs from main harness- the brake reservior wires needed extending.

The reversing light feed goes into the tunnel to gearbox switch.

Well - it's clear in my mind what I'm doing :wacko:

Terry

I mounted my fuse box above the battary in front of the pasenger footwell, then I cut a slot in the top of the firewall into the cockpit to run the wires into the car, this means I can get all the plugs through fine.

I ran a piece of plastic pipe from the engine compartment, through the tunnel and out into the boot area and put the wires in that.

I sucked a piece of rag with a rope tied to it through the pipe with some sort of cleaning machine that the wife uses, then pulled the wires through with the rope.