Bottom Radiator Hose Route

Guest Phil Slater

Guest Phil Slater

There has been mention in other threads of the need to cut a notch in the steering rack chassis support member to allow fitting of the bottom hose.

A couple of questions, to those who gone this route, have came to mind when I was looking to fit a bottom hose on my wishboned 2B tonight :huh: .

Does the bottom hose go underneath all the chassis cross members before rising up to its connection to the pump? This is obviously the most direct and easy route. However, if so, this seems to me to leave the hose pretty exposed and maybe vulnerable to damage from road debri etc, and I just wondered if the SVA chaps might take a dim view of this. So I'd be interested to hear if anyone has got their car SVA'd with the hose in this position?

TIA

Phil Slater

Phil

My 2B went through SVA with the hose as you describe. It is strapped up to the tubular chassis with tag ties on its way to the pump. The sump guard is lower than the hose but it is a simple job to put a cover plate over the hose to give it some protection from stones etc. if you want to.

Peter

Guest Phil Slater

:p Thanks for the input chaps!

I remembered Longboarder (Nigel) went to a local radiator repair shop and had a completely new three core rad built for about £100. So I thought, well maybe they could braze on a right angled bottom hose connector to take the hose off towards the offside and it should be cheap!! At Nigels suggestion, I also had a standard fitting for a temperature switch fitted at the same time.

:blink: uhhhh ....................... it wasn't as cheap as I thought - £30 in total - bearing in mind the cost of the whole radiator.

However that said, the Halford's long flexi pipe now curves round nicely along the side chassis tubes and I've been able to use the original bottom hose fitted at a different angle/position which loops perfectly under my high hung alternator and steering column/shaft to meet up with the flexi.

One question though, I seem to have plenty of choice with regards to temperature switches that will fit, but there are also a variety of temperature ranges on these switches. Can anyone recommend a range suitable for the injection Pinto. There is a switch specifically for the DOHC (but of course the pinto had the viscous fan) and I'm not sure if this is sutable for the OHC.

Any help would be appreciated

Phil Slater

Guest Getting There

Hi

I have just come to getting my temp sensor switch, the one that you need has a black ring, as this denotes the range of temperatures that the sensor will work for. All switches (as i have been told) use the same colour banding system. Hope this helps!!

Cheers

Chris Stubbs

Guest Phil Slater

Chris,

Thanks for your response.

Pardon my dimness, :unsure: but can I just clarify something - I seem to remember colour coding being mentioned in relation to temperature sensors for the Efi system ..............or was it a temperature guage ........ but hadn't heard of it in relation Rad Fan Switches; so could you confirm the sensor you got is for switching on the electric fan?

Thanks again

Phil Slater

Guest Getting There

Hi

The black ring was with regards to the temp sensor for the guage, however the ones which are used to run a fan are also colour coded, i will have a look when i get back this weekend at what colour mine is as it seems to work well and comes on when the temp guage gets to about 3/4 height. I am running also running an EFI setup and this appears to work well, the only consideration is that i am using an after market fan from one of the shows as the one that RH supplied doesn't work too well!!!

Cheers

Chris