Electric Fan

Guest davros

Guest davros

Hi Team,

Having finally got my 2b out of the garage ready for the 'glorious' 08 summer. I left the motor running in the drive for around 1/2 hour & the temperature gauge rose nice & steadily until it started boiling & venting into the expansion bottle. While I'm not bothered about the length of time it took to boil over it's the fact that the electric fan didn't kick in is the problem & if it had it probably would have probably kept the temperature down. I've tested the fans motor & that's OK but as I didn't build the car I was wondering if someone could point me in the direction of the power source of the fan (it's been wired using a Vicky Green wiring diagram) or if it could be the sender that's set into the top hose that needs some investigation. the cars powered by a 1800 Pinto motor & everything else on the cooling system seem fine but I'm going to replace the radiator cap with a 13lb one as @ the moment it stands @ 10lb.

Cheers

Davros

Guest klaxon

The Vicki Green loom that I have (rh supplied in 2003) does not have any facility for an electric fan. I had to ADD a relay and wiring for it. I included a Dihatsu thermostat and a manual override switch. Your problem could be a fuse, stat or the relay. You could try shorting out the stat. if the fan starts then the stat is at fault.

Guest davros
The Vicki Green loom that I have (rh supplied in 2003) does not have any facility for an electric fan. I had to ADD a relay and wiring for it. I included a Dihatsu thermostat and a manual override switch. Your problem could be a fuse, stat or the relay. You could try shorting out the stat. if the fan starts then the stat is at fault.

Cheers for the reply klaxon but the fault was traced with a trusty multimeter as I didn't relish the thought of unraveling the wiring harness. it was finally tracked down to the power lead to the fan not being attached to the relay (doh) but as I said I'm not the original builder of the Hood & things aren't always obvious but I must the the lad who built it seems to have done all the right things & done a good job of it.

Thanks again

Davros

The fan power lead may well have been disconnected because someone was working in the area of the fan and wanted to play safe just incase it came on & forgot to put it back when finished , i have almost been caught out this way with a fan coming on after i had stopped the engine .

Mike

Guest chris brown
All the Rh looms are short on Relays... looks like your builder had his head screwed on adding some in.

Dan :)

Not true Dan lots use the Sierra loom then theirs even spare relays and fuses

Guest salty_monk

That would be a FORD loom then Chris :D

The black one has one of those fitted.

All the RH Looms are short on relays, this is true whether you have the RH Autosparks loom or the RH Vicki Green Loom. :p: :wub: