Is He A Member

Guest Phil in Cheshire

Guest Battery Bill

Bloke

would like to find out more about the firewall n bonnet

What picture are you on about?

Its a bit daft his pictures go backwards (The further you go into it the less the car gets built)

He is right about the fettling but hey its fun! ;)

Guest TerryBarry

That car was on the RHOCaR area at Stoneleigh this year

Compare this pic of the dash.

I didn't get a chance to talk to the owner - I thought that the dash layout was well sorted - so took a couple of pics.

My middle initial is P but I wasn't named Plagiarist.

Terry

He's done a good job and should be proud... :)

My 2p...

If you want to bolt a car together.....don't buy a Robin Hood

If you want to feel like you have built a car to be proud of and is different to any other car even though its exactly the same model.....do buy a Robin Hood

Dave

b+j

the firewall is straight and looks good, also the split bonnet is a good idea but sounds difficult to do and look A1???

did i see the battery in the back? ;)

robin hoods rule, v cool

Guest Tim Norman

Emailed the bloke to congratulate him on his build;

If you wanted a kit that simply bolted together why didn't you spend 4 times the money and buy a Catererham.

Nice job though.

Half the "fun" of a Robin Hood is that is does tax you mentally.

Cheers

Tim

He replied;

To be honest, we wouldn't have minded a 'taxing' car kit, but the thing that annoyed us was the way Robin Hood lie quite seriously about how easy it is to build their kit, and provide little or no support to builders. If we'd have known this in the beginning, we probably would have chosen another manufacturer's car that we knew was telling us the truth about the build.

A few things like the RH wiring loom and controls are just sitting in the garage now because they just weren't any good for the job (even by Robin Hood's standards :) - thats the kindof thing thats the problem, not the kit itself. I suppose one other annoyance is that the front wheels aren't square - the mount points are an inch forward on one side. I can't help feeling that something like the Chassis should be engineered to a reasonably high standard.

Anyway, it was fun to build, and i like the finished product. It hasn't put me off building another either - its just i'd feel uneasy about parting with more money knowing that Robin Hood's idea of a nicely made car and my idea of a nicely made car have a few differences :) Its just a shame Robin Hood seem to have been the only ones that took the initiative when it came to making a new chassis - and on the whole that is really nice, and is one of the main reasons we chose the kit in the first place.

Good job on the Robin Hood owners club - from what i've seen at the shows you've got some really good people (and cars) in it :)

- Gordon

Nuff said

Robin Hood lie quite seriously about how easy it is to build their kit
thats subjective, it depends on the builder, I think the balance is 'just' about right...not too hard and not easy

Dave

Guest Bob Rowell

Surely he realised when he bought the kit that it wasn't an Airfix snap together one. I bought an S7 a couple of weeks ago, registered and on the road. I drove it home (100 miles) and enjoyed every minute of it. Now I am getting just as much fun taking everthing apart and re-engineering the car. One thing I hadn't realised is that a rebuild can be more challenging, you have no build manual to refer to, and as it was put together by someone else you often can't quite work out how to take it apart.

Today's task was to make the driver's seat adjustable. £8 in the scrap yard (sorry, car breakers) got me a pair of Fiesta seat runners, a couple of hours head scratching, tweaking and bodging(technical term) and my seat now has ample adjustment for my 27" legs and my son's 33s. It has also left me with a real feeling of achievment.

This is what kit car ownership is all about.

Does anyone know how to get to the gearbox end of the speedo cable on my pinto engined car with Seirra 5 speed box? :)