Gearbox

Guest Bazwaz

Having just spent all my spare cash converting to Vauxhall power i now need to replace my leaky gearbox. On inspection i've found the input shaft bearing has partially broken up and is allowing oil to seep through. The question is do i replace the bearing and is that possible without dismantling the internals or do i buy a recon box. I've seen the boxes with the long first gear but do they justify the extra exspense. Your thoughts will be appreciated.

Barry.

Barry

If you goto your local bearing shop...you might get on for about 10-20 squids :)

(I have 2 local bearing shops :huh: and I live in South London, I didn't think there was a market for bearing...but when my central heating boiler fan went and I paid £130 for a new fan :( I search on the Net and found a shop in the high street who sold me the bearing to fix the fan for...£4 each :) that 8 squid to recon a £130 fan)

All you need then is an oil seal...not sure where you would get one if Mr Ford won't/can't supply one.

Or you could take Bill up on his kind offer!

Dave

Bill and Joey

Thank you for your kind offer, as mine has the mechanical speedo i don't think the granny one would be suitable. If i can get the bearing out without too much hassle i might just replace it, but seeing that the box had done 100,000 before i fitted it in the hood it might be false economy. I'll have have a think about it this week.

Cheers

Barry