Laptop Problems

Guest Ken Brough

Guest Ken Brough

Hi all, anyone have any idea's why my sons compaq laptop will not make contact with the wireless base station. My laptop works fine on the same system so I can't see it being a fault with the base station. On the front of his laptop is a switch to turn on/off the wireless setup. When it is switched on the indicator lamp turns from orange to blue. it is staying on orange. The switch is never turned off so I would not think it's that. Could it be a driver issue. I have queried the modem which says ok. Any idea's

Guest erichetherington

Ken,

This probably isn't very useful but the light on mine goes blue when it's on, so I'd suspect a fault on the laptop. But you need someone more techie than me to say what.

Eric

My sons compaq is doing the same (staying orange) he's using a wireless dongle to get around it. He say's its the wireless bit in the laptop which is the problem and can be replaced (around £20 off the internet)

Guest Ken Brough

Thanks Colin, laptop now working with spare dongle. Tried it the other day and it would not work. Re installed the driver and it's working now. Still good to know if it's the same part. Model Presario V6000.

Roberts back from the pub and says that Compaq have an issue with this and may have extended their warranty to cover it. Try asking where you bought it or the Compaq web site ( I've looked but couldn't see anything)

This could be the culprit mini pci-e