Tight Engine Ooh Er

Guest jetskijase

Guest jetskijase

Hi All

I've just rebuilt my 20lt pinto and it's currently on the engine stand. When i came to time the cam and dizzy up the engine had a tight/scrapping spot when turning it over with a socket on the end of the crank.

I looked underneath and it only happens when the pistons are in the middle of there travel. I replaced the rings and honed the cylinders, i noticed the oil scraper ring was slightly different to the old ones and were quite tight in the grooves.

Will they bed in ok when i start her up or am i being to paranoid!!??

Thanks for your advice in advance

Jase.

Ps Any photos yet of the new RH car the mooomeesomething??

Guest Simon cooper

Hi Jase,

Is it a tight spot or tight all the way round??

The scraping will probably be the new rings on a freshly honed bore, it does sound like scraping but you should have no tight spots.

Can you see any scratch marks in the bores that might be from a damaged ring. Normaly you would only see them with the head off. If you are not happy, then pull the head and look.

Have you eliminated the silly mistakes that we all make from time time to time? End cap wrong way round, twisted big end shell etc??

If you do go for it, there will be a lot of heat build up very quickly due to the friction of the new rings. There are a couple of ways that different engine builders run in new rings to avoid glazing. Personaly, i keep the revs around 2500-3500 for 5 minutes straight from start up (as long as the oil pump was primed and the cam was lubed). never let it idle for the first 20 minutes of running.

Hope it helps.

Simon