New Parts During Build

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Guest Daniel Aldridge

Can anybody advise if new parts such as brake calipers, brake disc's, rack and pinion, etc... are used during the build process would this increase the chances of being given a Q plate as these were not from the donor car, Have read vague details of what lands you with a Q plate does any one have a more comprehensive list or know where I can get one on what is needed form the donor car, I know things like engine and vin plate are helpful as is V5 and photos of donor but what about the rest of the car. As I wish to avoid a Q at all cost.

Daniel

1. Declare SORN but DO NOT SCRAP Sierra

2. Use engine, gearbox and axle from donor...make sure engine number on engine is the same as V5, otherwise get V5 ammended by DVLA before declaring SORN

Do this and I'll let you know what to when I have done it :p

Dave

Guest Charles B

The only item the DVLA can check is your engine, so as long as that's the same as your original V5, you can can replace anything else you want. I put all new brakes on mine, I preferred to play safe on these bits.

I read somewhere that you need to be able to prove that new parts are just that - new: i.e., keep receipts and any documentation that can prove this - to get an age related registration you need a certain number of parts from the donor vehicle (which parts exactly I don't know - you fill in everything like this on a thing called the built up vehicle report). If you can't prove the origin of the parts they will count as 'unknown' and the register man will send you off to Q-plate land.

I think?!

nelly

Guest Charles B

I wouldn't worry too much about Q plates. As I said you can only prove the engine, and you just fill the form in to say at least the gearbox and back axle came off the same car, new parts like brakes are definately not a problem, in fact the SVA seemed to be impressed by them. I had no problem with the dvla inspector, most of them don't know what they are looking at anyway! for instance, my engine number was unreadable, so I just stamped it on the head as well, and showed him where to look!