What Year?

Guest blazefan

Guest blazefan

:mellow: Hi All

I am getting my 2B on the 28th Feb next year so i am looking for a Sierra to start stripping down now, What year does the single ohc 2l engine i need start and finish and is any one year better than another.

Cheers Jay

Guest TerryBarry

Hi,

The 2.0 litre Pinto engine was fitted up to about 1989 - F or G - you will need to lift the bonnet to check. 2.0 litre was available from launch in 1982.

Changeover was to 2.0 litre DOHC

As with many of these changeovers there is no accurate cut-off date - some cars were not sold for a while after manufacture. The 2.0 donor I used was built in Dec 88 but not registered until Jun 89.

Another choice with 2.0 litre is injection or carb.

As to the age of the engine - they are all going to be 14 to 21 years old so condition is more important than age. The later 2.0's have the 205 block said to be stronger - this will depend how much stick you intend giving it.

Good Hunting

Terry

Guest TerryBarry

Hi,

EFi

Pros

More power as it comes out of donor

Were fitted with unleaded heads before equivalent carb engines

Head flow characteristics slightly better

Cons

Sits up higher than carb - needs mod to lower or put bulge in bonnet

Wiring somewhat more complicated

Needs swirl tank fitted to fuel tank.

Notes

Plenty of builders have incorporated EFi engines

For real power probably better to throw original fueling system away and fit twin 40's or similar , modified cam and simplify ignition system.

HTH

Terry

Guest blazefan

Thanks for that Terry, it gives me something to think about.

I brought the bargain pages today and looked online and have found the only car suitable is 200 miles away.

Cheers Jay

Guest brummy-ade

youll be the only 1 I know in brum then what part of brum you in?

I did see a sierra in coventry about a week ago but check the bargain pages and why mag, I cheated and bought my exmo 90% finished out of bargain pages from coventry.

ade

Guest brummy-ade

Yes thats true ive been to one meet there in the summer but my hols and work shifts dictate whether i go or not :gdit: a good crowd there last time i went there were about 6 hoods there should be a meet this wed i am free so if dry will be in the hood :D .

ade

Guest Andy Rathbone

Ade, your still welcome for a drink even if your not in your hood, next year will be my 3rd year in the club and i still havent finished building the retched machine.

and you to jay your more than welcome i'm sure. come and join us this wednesday from about 730 onwards, it will be nice for them to hear somone elses build problems for a change.

hope to see you there

Guest Stuart Ainslie

Hi Brum lads...

I quite often spend time working in Brum (Washwood Heath) and have done so for over a year now....

It would be nice to get together and talk rubbish over a few beers one evening - let me know your meeting place and if I'm in Brum, I'll pop along.

Stuart.

Guest Andy Rathbone

Ade, quality takes time, i will see you at the malt shovel on the stonebridge island A45 for those who dont know where our area meeting is.

see you all soon, tonight in fact

:D