Exhaust

Guest Calvert

Guest Calvert

:ph34r: Right thanks on the alloy wheel question......

As mine hasnt got to SVA stage yet....Im a little worried about the exhaust. I think its the standard 4-2-silencer. And boy is it loud!!!! Is there anyway the Db's can be checked B4 i do the SVA.

????

Chris :huh:

This won't help measuring the noise but, there was a great post a while back where someone removed the silencer cover and cut a hole in the silencer to expose the pipe inside.

They then got some exhaust packing material ripped it into large bits (so its not blown out the back) shoved them into the silencer and rivetted a section of stainless over the hole in the silencer to keep it in, then put the silencer cover back on. Result is a smoother, less harsh, slightly quiter exhaust note with no noticeable diff in looks.

Another alternative is to get a Wunoff repackable silencer.

Has anyone else noticed that the RH exhaust join is the wrong way around where the manifold meets the silencer section. My manifold section goes over the silencer section so there is a restriction in the pipe (is it just me):

post-10-1069410140.gif

Ant did a nice article on how to re-pack the silencer recently with photos as well. I followed it, easy enough, and passed SVA re-test at 95 dB. First time round was 102.4 a definate fail.

Peter

When I first got mine running. I had complaints from the neighbours. Now if I want an easy life I have to roll it down the drive a bit past the neighbours direct ear shot before I start it. <_< Bloody old people, her central heating makes as much bloody noise and it's going 24 7. No pleasing some people.

Ant did a nice article on how to re-pack the silencer recently with photos as well.

Sheesh - the fame. :lol:

The article is on my website under maintenance and modifications. It's also on here under that section too - posted it mid september if I remember rightly.

Ant

Yup, Gerry did lead the way for me with this mod. He did it, then told me how to do it, and then I did it and took photos. I'm sure other people have re-packed their RHE silencer too, I remember reading it on the old discussion board ages ago now.

Ant

Yeah but yours is that fantastic low growl being a v8 and its a nice low sound.

With the standard exhaust and pinto its just really harsh and raspy not such a pleasant sound.

Guest alan rowe

that's right I had a chat with your Dad up at Donnington

Well I've had mine 18mths now and have covered about 4000 miles so far - the car had the V8 fitted in '97 and based on the speedo reading and MOT certificates had done 5000 miles before me

touch wood other than a service this year nothing major has needed to be done (I also had it rolling road tested and set up properly) - the only problem with it is it gets so hot - project for the winter to fit bonnet side vents but I'm very nervous about cutting into a painted bonnet

A