Exhaust

Guest Calvert

Hi everybody

I don't understand why everybody wants to quieten theirs down - I like mine as loud as possible and thankfully so do the neighbours

Alan

I have an RHE 4 into 1, no extra baffle insert thingie, on an unmodified EFi engine. At first, and for SVA, I drove it without modification. I thought it was loud, but it passed the SVA test, and the noise was seen as a plus point. I then used it daily for a 50 mile commute and clocked up about 6000 miles in it over the summer. Over that time it got louder and louder, and harsher and harsher, to the point where I'd get out after driving home from work and I'd have a headache. Now maybe I'm just a wuss about these things, but I don't want to end up deaf in my right ear just because I drove a kit car to work every day ... so I decided to open up the silencer and take a look. What I found was a virtually un-packed silencer with very little wadding in it. The tube in the centre of my silencer had also fractured from vibration, and the jagged fracture edges were causing an annoying squeak when the car was idling. I sorted this at the same time as doing the re-pack by simply bending the jagged edges apart slightly so that they don't rub together any more. The result is not a "quiet" exhaust - my mother still hates it, and my wife can hear it when I'm half way down the road. But it's not as harsh as it was, lots of the higher frequencies have been removed, and what's left is a nice low rumble with a bit of a roar when I put my foot down. No where near as nice as a V8, but much nicer than it was before I re-packed it. And no more headaches either.

Ant