Front Flexi Brake Pipes

Guest Mike Perry

Guest Mike Perry

I've just spent the best part of an hour with the search engine, but with no success.

I thought that I had seen somewhere what length the front flexi brake pipes need to be for a 2b with wishbones.

Has any one out there got the length for the front flexi pipe.

Thanks in anticipation.

I just followed the video instructions and drilled a hole through then fixed it tight with a nut cut in half. The copper pipe then fixes onto the end. The hole is in line with the brake caliper end but about 3-4 inches above it. On full lock there is still plenty of slack in the hose.

Peter

Guest Phil Slater

Just a note of caution :mellow: . My understanding is that just fastning the flexi to the side panel is unacceptable at the SVA. Some form of reinforcing is need. Following the lead of others I chose to weld on a piece of angle iron to form a bracket on the bottom chassis rail flush with the side panel. I then drilled through both the nose side panels and the bracket and used half a brake pipe union/nut to fix securly in place.

I should say this has not been through the SVA yet but the mount is solid.

Phil Slater

My 2B did pass SVA with the front flexi's bolted to the infill panels, without an additional bracket. I used a spreader washer on the inside, and then a nut. The reinforcing bracket can't cause a problem, but may be a waste of effort - Perhaps best to check with the SVA station you intend to use first and ask them what they want. One difference here may be _how_ it is fastened to the panel. If it is a rubber hose and uses a slide on clip then there is likely to be more movement than when stainless braided hoses are used and a nut holds the end of the flexi to the panel - just guessing that this might make a difference.

Regarding pipe length, my front ones are 300mm from flange to flange. My rear ones are Sierra standard, but there's more choice as to where the bracket on the chassis goes. At the back a bracket is definitely needed because there isn't a solid panel to secure it to.

Ant

I secured the rear flexihoses to the chassis with home made stainless steel P clips around the metal end piece. It is nice and tight, not going anywhere. The SVA man passed it ok.

Peter ;)

Mike

If you want "proper" measurements... :p mine were 14" and the rear were 13", steel braided from Merlin MotorSport...

I have made brackets but the added thickness of 2 panels, nut, nice washer on the outside and the bracket makes it difficult to do the internal connectors up tight :( so I suggest using spreader washers and only fitting the bracket if Mr SVA fails you... :boohoo:

Dave