Widening The Rear Arches On An Exmo Anyone?

Guest boggie

Hi Chaps,

After correcting the rear geometry on my EXMO the rear tyres have started fouling the arches on big bumps (like those found on almost every road in GB). Other than fitting narrower tyres (think:165/80x13) the only choice I have is to extend the rear arches as changing offset of the wheels will foul the front tyre inners on the outriggers.

The EXMO has a 1 piece rear sides / arches so the only way I can see is to take a jigsaw and cut the arches front to rear right down the middle. Insert a number of spacer strips between the two halves to hold them in place, then bond a strip of stainless of carbon over the the top to cover the gap. However I am worried about compromising the structural integrity of the arches (someone is bound to lean / sit on them at some time) and any distortion to the arch shape once the rigidity of the arch rolled edge is removed.

Any advice or expierince would be gratefully received as I if I have to cut bits off Yellow, I want to get it right!

Cheers, B

hi,

have you spoken to GBSC about any other model rear arch that might fit,

i'm not sure but was the superspec GRP on the back arches.

i saw lolocost had a load of spare parts ages ago and Kit Parts Direct are now running the spares section.

at the very least a new cheap arch would give you 2 fillets to use if carefully cut up.

how about making your own arch from stainless like the 2B with the GRP edges

there must be a multitude of ideas out there!

hope this helps

Dave

From memory there where two types of rear arches on the Exmo, standard and wide. I assume you have the standard ones, so you could replace the whole arch (GBS may have something still in stock). The other option is to improve the rear suspension? Are you using the original sierra spring, or the aftermarket shocks supplied?

Guest salty_monk

Not for me those spats.... how about cutting it where you suggest or where the whole arch joins the body then putting in some new glass? You could either get yellow gel coat to match or spray them afterwards.

Dan :)