Exhausted!

Guest pwlcarz

Any ideas on the best way to support the exhaust silencer on a pinto engined S7?

I recently rebuilt the exhaust (standard GB 4 into 1 and silencer box) and re-welded the bratcket which attaches to the tail pipe. I used new exhaust bobbins (rubber and metal threaded stud type) but the rubber appear to be shot already and the exhaust makes a terrible rasping noise on the overrun or at steady (low) speeds. There seems to be vibration coming through the brackets into the sidewall of the cockpit (where the bracket attaches to). Also when cold there's a squeaking noise from the mounting area.

The whole thing is beginning to drive me mad and spoiling the fun of driving the car.

The exhaust seems to be quite firmly attached so would a softer method of mounting it transmit less vibration (standard car exhausts are always fairly softly suspended)? If so how?

Any other thoughts?

Cheers

Peter

When I got my new back box made the guys extended support brackets from the angle iron supporting the seats and used the rubber bobbins so that they were in compression as the engine shifts. It is a much better arrangement than the one I had!

exhaust.jpg

Neil is right.

The usual mini exhaust bobbins wont last 5 minutes if pulled or in shear.

They need to be compressed.

I'm using Mini engine mount rubbers, they look like a JUMBO version of the usual

exhaust biobbins, and theay are cheaper too if bought at shows etc.

HTH Bob

Guest FIRSTBUILD

I did a similar thing with a nice piece of chequer plate bolted in two places under the floor of the car, mount the exhaust on to there so that the weight is supported on rubbers - I also put a small bobin, on a bracket, between the box and the side panel ---- now done 5k miles without coming loose.

Steve