Oil Cooler

Guest Fred2b

I notice alot of blokes fitting oil coolers on their cars. Is one of these needed? If so are they available from the scrappy or only from a supplier and how exactly is it plumbed in?

Peter :huh:

In my opinon (if it counts for any thing), if you live in Libya and you are a regular at the Sahara’s “drag a dead camel carcass up the sand dunes at 7000rpm” endurance trials, then yes you do need an oil cooler.

Guest paul_wilts

plumbed in from the oil filter port usually, useing a special adapter, cant say its worth it unless your running some mental engine - if it needed one it would have one.

they do look good though, if you want it you would have to buy one specially for the car ( the fittings anyway, you could in theory use any cooler) but beware of dodgy kits that dont include a oil stat - if the oil doesnt get upto operating temp because you have it running through the cooler your damaging the engine.

the stat allows it to flow once its upto temp, same as on the water rad.

if you just want the look of one in the front go and find one in a scrappy and stick it on!!!

Guest trevor hooley

BE warned, if you fit one on a normal road going hood be very carful, on a pinto you should have proper swaged hoses, otherwise if it oil surges you will blow jubilee clips off and empty the engine of oil in about 20secs, result one blown engine and a big repair bill. I use the hire car with its fancy race pinto without an oil cooler now with no ill effects, just use a good qulity oil like valvoline racing 20/50

I gota ncie oil cooler from a guy who was breaking an MX5, someone had put an oil cooler on it, and he was selling the cooler kit for £25.

It was an EARLS 10-Row cooler worth about £35-40 and holds 200ml Oil, and the take-off plate and remote filter block by OMori Meter, Top Japanese manufacturer. worth about £60 each!! (still for sale)

MOCAL make a sandwich plate that fits between the Oil Filter and the Engine block, they cost about £30 from burtons. inc del & vat :(

but if you buy from http://www.THiNKAuto.com , who are a massive Mocal Stockist/Distributor they're £16.58 !! bargain. + del & vat :( still cheaper than Burtons..!

you have to get the push-on pipe connectors that fit the treaded holes seperate which are a big almost 1"JIC thread - difficult to find . but I managed to find a very similar 3/4" BSP thread adapter at my local hardware/builders suppliers , so I could use the pipe fittings from the cooler kit I had bought s/h . They had to be forced in the last few threads butIt aint gona leak.

Good luck,