Speedo Cable

Guest Bob Rowell

Guest Bob Rowell

Can anyone tell me how to change the speedo cable on my S7?

When I bought the car a few weeks ago the seller told me the speedo had stopped working and needed a new cable.

I have been under the car and the cable has been cut off near to the bellhousing area. I can see where the cable goes onto the g/box(just) but can't see any way to reach it, unless I cut a hole into the transmission tunnel from the driver's footwell and then fit an access plate.

I would think other owners have come across this problem so any advice or solutions will be most welcome.

The cable also seems to be very tight to the transmission tunnel. Does it work ok with such a tight bend in the cable?

I have a 3A which i think is pretty much identical to a series 7,

I would suggest ,as you say,to cut an acces hole in the tunnel,which is something

I'm going to do myself on my car,as I need to fit a speed cable ,on my car their are 2 holes 95% cut out,ie the there is a tab of metal whic has been left in place,one is forward the other is back 4 inches,I assume to cater for 5& 4 speed gearboxes,these holes are to feed the speedo cable under the carpet up to the dash,oh and by the way I think ther is sufficient clearance between the gearbox and tunnel,to get a reasonable bend,

Cheers anyway Ian

Ian,

I think that you'll find that if you try to bend the speedo cable through 90º and keep it inside the tunnel, it won't last very long.

What you said about a 'trapdoor' in the tunnel side is the best way, bring it through, across the drivers floor just in front of the seat (under the carpet) then up the RH side of the drivers footwell.

What I did was to use one of those green camping mats from the Army & Navy stores as 'underfelt' I then cut a groove for the cable to lie in before putting the carpet over it all.

Bob,

With yours, you have more room than the 3 (A) inside the tunnel, so you can JUST about get away without routing it through into the drivers footwell.

Guest Bob Rowell

Thanks, both of you, for your help. The tip about taking it across the floor is something I would not have thought of. Is the standard Sierra cable long enough?

Yes, just bring it out, straight across the floor, then up across the front of the footwell directly to the clock. you can see it going diagonally from right to left in this piccy, it actually tucks up a bit better than it shows.

post-10-1070492206.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bob Rowell

I cut the access hole in the side of the tunnel only to find that the speedo drive outlet in the gearbox has been filled with weld!!

I don't fancy changing the box so I am looking into fitting an electronic speedo