Cycle Wing Brackets

Guest ant.b

hi all

have just made up my cycle wing brackets loose for now , attatched to dummy strut etc ,with the tab you are suposed to drill through into the front hub lined up it is very tight against the thick rubber part of the flexi hose where it goes in to the caliper is this normal or am i doing some thing wrong ,would this fail the sva ?

post-5-1070826780.jpg

Guest gordon_macnab

Ant,

The hoses will fail SVA if they touch anything on all positions from lock to lock, best bet is to try and refit the hoses with a bit of twist in them between the two fixed ends to make them lie in a different position and hopefully this will be all that's needed, thats what I did and it gave some clearance, doesn't need to be much just as long as they don't touch.

Cheers

Gordon

Guest paul thompson

That's why they have a stripe along the hose, so you can see if it is twisted or not, been there done that on production cars, hose routing can take days.

hi all

thanks for advice, will try a slight twist on flexi tomorrow ,my calipers are on the right way, nipple at top, did notice when i raised the dummy strut out of the hub it gave a little more clearance to the flexi but still touched,is it ok to have the dummy strut raised up slightly as this should all so give me abit more adjustment on the coil overs ,to improve ground clearance aswell ??

cheers ant

I had to raise the dummy strut to get the upper wishbone to clear the coilover when the weight is off the wheels. It must clear like this as that's what they do at MOT - jack the front wnd up, spin from lock to lock, and check for bindings or things catching etc.

Regarding the flexi's, they CAN come into contact with things like the cycle wing brackets as long as they are suitably protected when doing so. If you slip a piece of rubber hose over the outside and make sure it's the extra hose piece which touches the cycle wing bracket then you'll be fine. Obviously the outer hose must be securely attached to the flexi and be smooth, etc etc. Many production cars have a rubber ring around the flexi hose actually attached to the suspension strut.

Ant

Ant,

that's exactly the same as I did.

Had a 1/2" spacer made up at work to raise the dummy strut up then put some rubber hose around the flexi brake pipe (using self amalgamating tape to secure)where it could touch the cycle wing bracket. (brake pipe goes underneath cycle wing bracket)

No problems at SVA.

Les

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Keith L

I had the same problem and had braided hoses made with a banjo fitting at the caliper. Word of warning if you go this route, make sure that your sealing washer clears the recess in the caliper otherwise you end up with lots of brake fluid all over the place.