Rear Brake Drums

Guest Billfish

Guest Billfish

I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I can't get the rear brake drums off. Haynes says remove the brake drum retaining spire washers (there are none) I can't see anything that should be holding them on, and the drum turns freely, so the pads arn't jammed. There is also no "automatic ajuster" hole in the drum.

What am I missing?

Bill

Guest Ian & Carole
I'm probably missing something really obvious, but I can't get the rear brake drums off. Haynes says remove the brake drum retaining spire washers (there are none) I can't see anything that should be holding them on, and the drum turns freely, so the pads arn't jammed. There is also no "automatic ajuster" hole in the drum.

What am I missing?

Bill

Bill

When you beat the drum with a big hammer beat the face of the drum NOT the edge.

The face being the part that drum that the wheel bolts to.

This usually allows the drum to " BOUNCE" off the brake shoes.

When you get the drum off, fit your finest grinding disc on your angry grinder and VERY carefully remove the "lip" from the edge of the drum.

This will make rebuild / strip much easier in the future.

Guest Nigel Novice

Get a large Screwdriver/pry bar and put in between the drum and back plate and apply a levering action as if levering drum off and with the other hand hit the drum on the side (but not the rim, front edge will do) it should bounce the drum off a bit then repeat on the opposite side and repeat until the drum comes off or you can get your fingers in enough to pull off completely, then as Ian says get the grinder out, you might also find it binding on the hole in the centre of the drum due to a bit of rust, a quick touch up with emery paper on both parts should sort it.

Guest Billfish

Firstly, apologies, I posted in the wrong place.

Secondly, thanks for the help. Spent half an hour last night failing to get the drums off, it took a little over a minute this afteroon.

If in doubt, hit it with a hammer!

Cheers.