Handbrake Query

Tazzzzman1

Hi,

Before I go into my re-test I want to make 100% sure that what I have done for my handbrake compensator is SVA okay. (SVA inspector wanted me to show/ demonstrate handbrake mechanism on my re-test)

I have manufactured 2 plates which swivel in the middle to give equal distribution to each rear brake when hand brake is appplied. The plates sandwich and clamp the cables also a small U bolt is fitted to fasten the loose end of the cables each side.

I could not use the standard " half moon fitting" as a compensator due to lack of room.

Amongst all you experts out there, some advice on this before I take the plunge would be appreciated.

Cheers

Terry

Edited by tazzzzman1

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Terry

Is the centre nut a method of adjustment? if so he might want to see a lock nut on to prevent it all coming apart.

Also is the nut at the bottom of the pic. on the bolt enough, think you need three clear threds exposed above the nut if that makes sence.

Good luck with the retest by the way.

Hi Terry

Is the centre nut a method of adjustment? if so he might want to see a lock nut on to prevent it all coming apart.

Also is the nut at the bottom of the pic. on the bolt enough, think you need three clear threds exposed above the nut if that makes sence.

Good luck with the retest by the way.

Hi Ian,

Yes the centre nut is used for adjustment, so I will add a locking nut and lenthen the two clamp bolts as suggested.

Has this sort of compensator been used by anyone else?

cheers

Terry

Guest Nigel Novice

I would be tempted to use 2 U clamps on each cable seeing as they are plastic coated, I have seen them slip, as Ian says regarding nuts though you might be able to use a Nyloc there as well.

Oh and as for any one used the idea I think Ford have in the past ;)

Guest Toenee

Keep your fingers crossed. I failed my SVA on one item, which was the method I used to shorten the handbrake cable, I used 4 'U' clamps on bare cable.

Guest SEgan
Keep your fingers crossed. I failed my SVA on one item, which was the method I used to shorten the handbrake cable, I used 4 'U' clamps on bare cable.

So much better to hammer on a centre drilled M8 as shown in the videos then :D A cunning plan to hide the evidence in the brake shoe.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Techmage

Bit perplexed by this anti cable clamp stance :unknw: :unsure: . Look around and you see them on cables everywhere from cranes to ships although admittedly they are larger. They seem a standard way to fix cables especially when the ends of cables are looped, infact my garage doors have them on the cables. I realise the importance of them not failing but don't see the difference between these clamps if correctly sized and a squashed nut.

Obviously as my IVA will be at Gillingham if I ever finish, i'll be using the squashed nut :D

• 2 weeks later...

another option, that I had done, is to have a proper cable nipple pressed onto the sierra cable once you have cut it to length.

Got mine done at the local chandlers, yes we have one, even in landlocked Hazel Grove :D pressed the nipple on witha 20 ton hydraulic press, more pressure than I'll ever put on it, and only a fiver.

Techmage, should be easy for you to find a chandlers near Rochester, other landlubbers might have to try the phone book or look out for places that do cable manufacturing