Number Plate Size

thespannerman

Guest alan rowe

Yes -- had the bike sized square on the back and bike sized on the front when I had my V8 Hood -- £30 fixed penalty and no points

The force is getting more and more touchy about plate sizes now due to the electronic reading machines being used for tax and insurance -- even poor spacing is being jumped on

Alan

Guest Ian & Carole

Hi Paul

I think on the back of your car an oblong one would look better than the square one.

JMHO though.

Nice to meet you yesterday and pleased that Thomas gave in and gave you the age related plate. :D

I nearly fell foul of him when he checked ours over, he seems to think that "transmission" means gearbox and axle are one item and not two.

I had to make him accept the NEW RH propshaft separated them thus making them separate items but it was touch and go for a few minutes.

The wait is nearly as bad as the SVA its self. :huh:

Guest chris brown
Fitting a motorcycle number plate to the rear of my car. Officially they are too small, the correct square size looks like a barn door for a tractor. Has anyone been stopped for a motorcycle plate ie. 7 * 9 inches?

It will fail MoT as there is a required size of plate and stile and size of character there is a new (well late last year) poster that MoT stations have to display with all the requirements of the plates including the BS number. They must also have the name of the supplier on them so if they are wrong they can be done as well.

BTW you have to be licensed to make number plates it isn’t a case of just making them like it used to be.

Guest MarkB
It will fail MoT as there is a required size of plate and stile and size of character there is a new (well late last year) poster that MoT stations have to display with all the requirements of the plates including the BS number. They must also have the name of the supplier on them so if they are wrong they can be done as well.

BTW you have to be licensed to make number plates it isn’t a case of just making them like it used to be.

this was removed one month later, we do not know why, well we guessed that the scheme fail rate shot up, the spacing and letters and plate size have always been and always will be part of the mot but it is certainly a testers opinion area, we should only fail the plates if the legibility of the plate is compromised.

Guest pwlcarz

Interesting comments about bike number plate sizes.

So if car plates have to be a certain size so that APNR and speed cameras can 'see' the plates easily, does that mean they can't properly 'see' bike plates? Therefore 2 wheeled road users are effectively 'free' to do what speed they want and run without tax/insurance?

On a related point forward facing cameras such as SPECS which read vehicles front number plates to average their speed, are irrelevant to bikers who don't have front number plates.

Now I understand why bikers always have flies in their teeth! They are grinning at the inanity of the law!

So if car plates have to be a certain size so that APNR and speed cameras can 'see' the plates easily, does that mean they can't properly 'see' bike plates? Therefore 2 wheeled road users are effectively 'free' to do what speed they want and run without tax/insurance?

On a related point forward facing cameras such as SPECS which read vehicles front number plates to average their speed, are irrelevant to bikers who don't have front number plates.

Now I understand why bikers always have flies in their teeth! They are grinning at the inanity of the law!

APNR cameras only pick up plates with straight sides and square corners. So those smile shape plates on the back of Rover 75s and the like don't get recognised. Fit a pair on your hood and you can smile all day too.

My other car has two wheels.

Don't even joke. Knowing this Government, they probably have plans to introduce a front mounted numberplate on a stalk 2ft above the front Mudguard. Either that or tax us for the fly consumption :/

As for the rear ones, I'm sure they have no problem reading them but if your sensible and keep it parallel to the tarmac, then you should have no problems. :D

(Not that I condone such practices Enforcer ;) )