Wheel Spacers

Joel

Does anyone have much experience with wheel spacers - recommendations etc?

Demon Thieves have a variety ranging from universal steel spacers for a couple of quid, upto custom fit machined aluminium jobbies for £60.

I suppose it's a case of buy the best you can afford.

Also what's the deal with fitting longer studs?

Wheel spacers just depend on how much you need to move the wheel out. In my opinion, the more 'area' for the wheel to sit against, ie flat face, is better.

Longer studs will be required if you fit wheel spacers that have any thickness to them, or some aftermarket alloy wheels.

Longer wheel studs come in various lengths, and different 'spline' make sure that you get the correct ones. you will probably have to get studs that are too long, and have to saw a piece off them, file the end up nice, and fit them.

The old stud can be easily just knocked out, then pull the new stud (correct length) with a 12mm nut (I think it's 12mm) and a spacer.

Tip here, is to only remove / fit one stud at a time, you can then use the jack handle or something between the other studs to stop the hub rotating.

Thanks Jim, :)

The wheel studs listed for Ford in the DT catalogue are 7/16" unf or 12x1.5mm?

I had the wide arches and until I can afford a set of alloys with a different offset, well the Sierra wheels look a bit daft recessed in the arch, hence the spacers.

If you have a friendly scrap-yard try a set of Capri steel wheels. They should cost about the same each as a wheel stud from DT and will take the tyres from your existing wheels. The different offset should make them fill the arches a little better without having to mess with spacers and studs. As a guesstimate looking at the pic a set of Capri 2.8 pepperpots with 205 tyres would fill the arches nicely - If so then just specify replacements for that car when ordering your new wheels.

Shame your too far away as I've a couple of sets that you could try for size.

If you carry on and get spacers and longer nuts the Ford studs are M12 metric fine (the M12x1.5mm).

Iain

Guest mkeats02

Hi,

I have just bought some spacers for my front wheels £35 15mm spacer. They have a location spigot which is important for locating your wheel corectly. Also bought some longer studs £2 each. Got spacers and studs from my local wheel shop.

Mike

Guest Lotus Eater

Joel

The NW RHOCaR group sell spacers, more to bring the rear whells vertical, than to widen the track.

See my site www.colinusher.info

Regards

Colin Usher