Pinto To Zetec

Guest ianjenn

Guest ianjenn

I thought I would post an update on my switch from pinto to zetec power on my 2b.

I previously had a pinto running on bike carbs, megajolt and high lift cam but wanted more. I started the conversion in October by selling my pinto engine. That way there was no looking back. Surprisingly I got £300 for the pinto which I included the inlet and exhaust manifold in the sale.

I purchased a zetec black top and started to do some research. I decided based on other peoples experience that if possible it was best to keep the original thermostat and the easiest way to do this was to lengthen the propshaft and move the gearbox forward 55mm. This would still enable me to select gears without smashing my knuckles on the dash.

Other things - remove the servo and I used the robinhood pedal kit from the zero which turns the master cylinder the other way round.

Below is what i spent.

Zetec Blacktop £125 from ebay

Lengthening Prop £70

Lightened flywheel (could have used 1.8zetec flywheel but got a bargain on ebay) £100 and takes the standard pinto clutch

Purchased exhaust manifold from GBS £180 (Tubes 1 and 4 needed modifying to clear side panel due to forward position of zetec)

Purchased Pedal kit from GBS £55

Inlet manifold plate and air filter plate from Martin (laserman) £30 God he is good.

Alternator kit from retroford £75 (could have made this myself but saved alot of time

Bike fuel pump £20

I made the inlet manifold, air filter, engine mounts and a few other brackets. I shortened the sump/pickup and modified it to take the pinto starter motor and moved my existing silencer support to the other side

At the moment I have simply bolted on the bike carbs as jetted for the pinto and put a zetec map on the megajolt and bugger me it started first turn of the key. First impressions are what a difference. The engine is so smooth compared to the pinto. I am booked in for a rolling road at AB garage in a few weeks so should be a wee bit quicker by then. (Top men, have even emailed me their zetec base map as a good starting point). Now all we need is a good summer.

The total cost has been around the £550 mark (after subtracting the pinto sale) and a few months work. I could have done it abit cheaper but splashed out on a few bits as above. I already had the bike carbs and megajolt.

So if you are still running a pinto get with the times boys and upgrade.

post-53-1241549183_thumb.jpg

Guest ianjenn
Hi ianjenn

The convert looks good, did you have to change your firewall? Any chance of a picture of the back of the engine, my pinto is playing up and I’m thinking of doing the same.

mark

Yes I did alter the firewall at the left hand side (in the picture above) just to give a bit more room for the carbs.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest ianjenn

back from rolling road at AB garage. All that was required was the needles lowering one notch in the bike carbs. The jets were the same as the pinto. I now have 150BHP at the wheels and 160ish at the flywheel. So I can defnitely recommend the switch to zetec power.

post-53-1242940095_thumb.jpg

Edited by ianjenn