Left Hand Drive Conversion To Exmo ?

Guest Liam

Hello All

I've got an Exmo I didn't build myself, I ran it for a couple of years in the UK, then as I moved abroad I had it garaged off road for 2 years. It now has moved abroad with me.

I'm going to strip it down and do a part re-build, mainly to fix the electrics and build a decent dashboard, but I am also considering converting the car to left-hand drive.

I know the EXMO was an "export" model, so presumably it can be done - but is it worth it? The car drives OK already and has a decent engine. I 'm not sure I want to remove the engine/gearbox, as I dont know if I'll get it back in again!

Any advice would be appreciated

Phil.

Hi Phil,

As far as i know there has never been an "Export model" from Robin Hood, if you are interested in converting your Exmo to left hand Drive you have come to the right place in this forum, you will find loads of advice here!

I do feel that it will involve removing lots of bits to do this, i am sure someone has thought of doing this before.

Good luck with it though and dont be afraid to ask questions!

ps you dont say where you have moved to!

Cheers

Bugsy

:D

Guest Bazwaz

If i remember correctly when i bought my Exmo in 1996 the original advertisment said that this model was developed with exporting it in mind. Hence the name EX-port MO-del. But i don't think Robin Hood sent any abroad.

Barry

Guest Tony Tank

Hi I think your main problem will be the steering rack, :huh: the pedals should be the same providing u can relocate the servo and master cylinder :unsure: and u say u r redoing the dash area / electrics.

So u should be in with a good chance to do a left hooker. :D

Good luck ;) Tony

P S :D I've had no dealings with an Exmo, just my 2B

It shouldn't be too hard to change it to a 'left hooker'

As Tony say's, you'll need to get hold of a LH steering rack.

The engine & gearbox don't need to come out, but it would maker it easier to work on the pedals if they were out. Take the engine out, then the G/box.

You will need to swap the pedal box and battery over. you may need to get a different clutch cable to reach around the engine. Brake lines would need re-plumbing. wiring would need extending to the switches. The only things that will make it a little difficult, is the fact that the scuttle doesn't come off the Exmo, and that the passenger side of the car is a little bit more cramped than the drivers side due to the diff being slightly offset, but otherwise it doesn't look too big of a job.

Guest Tony Tank

Hi Phil

A little tip on the clutch issue if u get an RS 2000 ally bell housing it is left or right clutch, u just move the release bearing lever over to the other side. ;)

Tony

Hi Phil, I own an Exmo and I have converted it into LHD. It can be done but you have to renew the horizontal section of the bulkhead, from left to right and you have to cut the welds around the gearbox, in order to widen the space for the pedals. Keep 2 cm play between bellhousing and bulkheadbottem on each side. Add some material in the gaps and you will have a lot of bootspace.

Renew also the plate where the masterbrakecylinder is fitted to and put it as much to the left as possible. ( check with the bonnet on) The hole for the clutchcable must be in the left top corner of the plate. Now you can fit the clutch and brakepedal enough to the left in order to get space for the acceleratorpedal.

For your odometer you need a 90 degrees 1 x 1 adaptor that fits between the gearbox and the cable.

I have a lot of photos but not digital, if you are interested I can send them to you.

Joop l

Many Many Thanks to all you who posted on this subject. I was surprised at the reponse.

I've not decided what to do yet - but I'll keep you informed... :D

BTW I did neglect to say I now live in Holland... so any Dutch members please say hello!!

Phil.

Guest mickmellors

Get in touch with SJOERT BAKKER - he is in Netherlands and is our honorary Area Sec for 'Most of Continental Europe'.

Perhaps you could get a group together and car share over to a show weekend or two. That would really be great .

Guest mickmellors

Robin Hood Engineering (as they were then) didnt 'export' the EXMO but there wer 2 Dutch lads who came over on a VERY regular basis with a big van and took 2 kits back to Holland with them each trip. I personally saw them at 2 consecutive collection days. They collected their kits from the 'back door' :o and not the yard that we all know. I think the back door was registered as a different business ;) B) with a name something like British Monocoques Ltd.

You are quite right, the name EXMO came from EX-port MO-del.

As a point of interest and just in case there is anyone who does not know - the name '2B' came from 'tubey' as the chassis was made from tube and the 'KAIG' was named because the chassis looked like a roll cage ! ! !

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All,

Having considered pro's and con's I have decided not to attempt the LH drive conversion :wacko: after all. Looking at the Exmo there is enough to do just to get it street worthy again.... :(

My Bro-in-law is interested in building from scratch, so's we are probably going to rebuild the Exmo, then maybe next year - invest in a 2B :wub: or a Lite-wait :p with a LHD doner.

I'm putting up a website for the rebuild, please have a laugh, sorry look at my efforts.. :blink: http://exmo.sendoorii.net

Any advice from Exmo owners especially welcome..

Phil.