Front Oil Seal Crankshaft Housing

Grizzly

in theory no....

should be able to remove the fan pulley etc and 'hook' the old seal out - then 'gently' slide a new one in.

usually works as long as the old one is cooperative :D

seem to remember you have to put a bolt back in before using a puller to get the pulley off

Hi Neil,

Thanks for this.

It's taken me hours to get this far. I had to make up a puller to get the crankshaft sprocket off, which was solid.

Have tried drilling the seal and putting self tappers in, but the seal won't budge.

So, now trying to remove the housing. I've got a selection of wallpaper strippers behind the housing, in all areas apart from the half moon section of the sump.

Don't want to lever it too much though as it's only alloy. Looks like I'm going to have to get it all jacked up and drop the sump.

Ho Hum.

Have tried drilling the seal and putting self tappers in, but the seal won't budge.

same here - but one of my mates got it out with a 'removal tool' - sort of hooked thing that burst the seal and hooked in behind the reinforced bit.

Having removed the sump twice only to discover my oil leak was from the crankshaft seal I know the pain....

Hi Grizz

I had the same problem and managed to get the ally plate off without dropping the sump.

it was difficult and required patentce inorder to prevent the plate from breaking, but it is possible.

cheers

C

Ha Ha. This is turning into quite a long job.

Try as I might, I couldn't get the housing off and didn't want to break it, so last night.........

Removed starter motor.

Tried to drop sump - Oil Pump in the way and wouldn't clear plough.

Undid nearside engine mount and jacked up engine - still wouldn't clear plough.

Undid steering column - Removed Exhaust end-can and pulled headers out of the way

Jacked up engine again - Sump off! :yahoo:

I have a strange blanked off pipe thingy welded onto the side of the sump - Going to remove that tonight and weld up.

All this is due to me having to simply replace the Water Pump and then deciding to change the crankshaft oil seal at the same time :) :)

I bought this kit part-started so this is stuff I've never seen in this engine. I wanted to drop the sump so that I could have a nosey and see that everything was OK, although it's proably not easy to tell eh?

I noticed a stamped white circle on the inside of the block with 85 inside. Is this the year of the block?

Here's a couple of pics if anyone's interested:

post-1241-1242820561_thumb.jpg

post-1241-1242820570_thumb.jpg