Servo Questions 2.0xe

HI, i am well underway with my pinto to xe conversion, i really want it finished by the end of July, I now have the engone and box, repositioned. Question is, when i get rid of the servo, does the master cylinder just blt to the pedal? Also is the non servo braking force going to be a hard drive?

If i wanted to use a mini cooper remote servo, would this be up to the job?

Guest robinj66

You will need to replace the pushrod (which is attached to the rear of the Ford servo). I turned one up on a friend's lathe.

I found braking without a servo to be fine - a little worrying for the first couple of pushes of the pedal. I passed the SVA withouit a servo so braking force is definitely there.

there are a couple of ways around this.

the bulkhead and servo mounting plate may need to be moved back to make room for your TB's, then you'll find that they are just where the master cylinder wants to be if you are using the sierra pedal box.

you could fit a zero pedal box with inboard master cylinders, I modded the sierra brake pedal to move the M/C across to the right, works fine but can't fit an air filter, or if you're handy with the welder etc you could fab your own inboard M/C pedal box that allows you to keep the sierra set up for clutch op and pedal spacing, but also lets you fit a filter - thats next on my project list.

If you're going servo less try getting hold of a westfield/caterham master cylinder, they are designed to be used without the servo, so you don't get the will it won't it stop moments.

Guest Sharky

Hi Robinj66

I noticed you have a nice new M/C reservoir (cost £18 apparently) in your piccy - where did you get that from and did it come with the cap and new seals? Mine is off the donor and is full of black gunk that my sausage-like appendages can't get at!

Cheers

Sharky

Hi Robinj66

Mine is off the donor and is full of black gunk that my sausage-like appendages can't get at!

Cheers

Sharky

Wait till the wife goes out and stick it in the dishwasher :spiteful:

Steve

Guest robinj66

I bought it at a show a couple of years ago - think it was Stoneleigh.

Should add that I've been out in the S7 tonight - there is nothing wrong with using the Sierra cylinder without a servo. Not only did it pass the SVA in October but now I've put the pad clips on correctly (so that the psads were rubbing on all of the disc and not just half) i stops really well :blush:

Bit of an update, i have ended up removing the old brake setup and fitting a pedal box (god these arnt cheap)lol. Im waiting for sbd to get me my hydraulic clutch stuff now. Desperately need a MS map to get it running tho.. IM all excited, cant wait for that 1st start

Edited by garethbowers