Piper 270 cam

Kawasaki ZX9R carbs (38mm choke) on Bogg Bros manifold

Matched inlet and exhaust ports

205 block

ground and balanced crank

lightened flywheel

Raised compression (not sure on ratio)

Planned Megajolt

This engine was built by John Noble Motorsport in Chesterfield. However the Piper cam was already fitted from a previous mild fast road tune. Problem is I have a feeling it is restricting the power available from what was an expensive engine rebuild and I would like to sort this out before fitting to my new zero.

Should I fit the Piper 285, 295 or Kent FR32, FR33 etc...

Any advice is most welcome. Does anyone have a similar engine spec and has had it rolling roaded. Mine is making around 165-170bhp but have been told this state of tune should see 175-180bhp.

Cheers, Jason

Edited by Jazzym

Hi MAte

I put the Kent RL31 cam in my 2.1 vulcan with a stage 3 head, due to the power band being a little lower...

the result is a very qick and drivable car....

I'm running twin 40's and have had it rolling road tuned at 180 BHP at the fly so it is achievable...

cheers

C

Guest jasonmorris
Hi MAte

I put the Kent RL31 cam in my 2.1 vulcan with a stage 3 head, due to the power band being a little lower...

Cheers, not thought of that cam only the FR33 from kent. I think I'll give it a go as you already have the power my engine spec should produce.

Do you think I should go for the full kit (new spray bar and followers were fitted when fitting the Piper 270)? Also will I see further benefit fitting a vernier pulley?

Jason

Hi Jason

if you've just fitted the followers and spray bar you should be fine. just check that there are no signs of wear on the followers and make sure you run the cam in.

The vernier does make a differednce of around 5bhp and you can slightly change the characturustics of the engine by either advancing or retarding the timing to alter the torque..

hope this helps

cheers

C

Guest scrabster

hi,just had my zero rolling road tuned at torque tune near nottingham.he got improvements adjusting dizzy first then the vernier and finally drilling the jets.it went from 98hp to 115hp.he told me the springs are matched to the cam in the kit so i would definatley buy the complete kit or you could get valve bounce.i have the bp270 kit and the 17hp increase at the wheels has made a vast difference in power and driveability,hope this makes sense.

jess.

Guest jasonmorris
hi,just had my zero rolling road tuned at torque tune near nottingham.he got improvements adjusting dizzy first then the vernier and finally drilling the jets.it went from 98hp to 115hp.he told me the springs are matched to the cam in the kit so i would definatley buy the complete kit or you could get valve bounce.i have the bp270 kit and the 17hp increase at the wheels has made a vast difference in power and driveability,hope this makes sense.

jess.

Hi Jess,

That was my thought in staying with the Piper shafts, so the springs will match a piper cam. Was thinking of moving to the bp280 or bp300 though. Any thoughts?

Jason

Guest salty_monk

I've used the Kent FR32 & the Piper 285. Both pretty similar, the Kent is possibly a bit more progressive. I think the 270 you have is possible a lower duration but higher lift... that is actually supposed to be a great setup for the pinto if the "How to tune a SOHC" book is to be believed......

You may want to try the FR33 or 300 if you drive with high revs, the 32 & 285 are pretty tame. I think those are designed for 7,000 rpm though which is a bit excessive unless you have re-inforced bottom end...

Dan :)

Guest jasonmorris
I've used the Kent FR32 & the Piper 285. Both pretty similar, the Kent is possibly a bit more progressive. I think the 270 you have is possible a lower duration but higher lift... that is actually supposed to be a great setup for the pinto if the "How to tune a SOHC" book is to be believed......

You may want to try the FR33 or 300 if you drive with high revs, the 32 & 285 are pretty tame. I think those are designed for 7,000 rpm though which is a bit excessive unless you have re-inforced bottom end...

Dan :)

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the advice, have you had any experience with the Kent RL31 as mentioned earlier in this thread?

Jason

Guest jasonmorris

Chris,

What is the driveability like with your RL31 cam?

Can it cope with low speed driving ok as I have heard they drop off cam about 2500rpm?

ETC....

Jason

Hi Jason

if it drops of at 2500, i've not noticed it!!

it's a realy drivable. i use the car most days in the summer for work, which is a 50 mile round trip on country roads, dual carrageway and stopping and starting in town.

I already had double valve springs so left them in place, bought new followers from burtons as the old ones where worn and popped the cam in. Since putting it together i've done 10K miles over hill and dale, and the odd bit of track action and i can't fault it.

cheers

C

Guest jasonmorris
Hi Jason

if it drops of at 2500, i've not noticed it!!

it's a realy drivable. i use the car most days in the summer for work, which is a 50 mile round trip on country roads, dual carrageway and stopping and starting in town.

I already had double valve springs so left them in place, bought new followers from burtons as the old ones where worn and popped the cam in. Since putting it together i've done 10K miles over hill and dale, and the odd bit of track action and i can't fault it.

cheers

C

Cheers Chris, looks like an RL31 and a vernier kit for me then :rolleyes:

Never changed a cam before, is it an easy job using the haynes manual? Any advice with regards to changing the came welcome.

Jason

Guest AWhite

I've got a very similar spec engine to you and i have the piper 285 cam in. All i can say is its bloody quick and very driveable my dad had a RL cam in his old car and it had no power low down in the rev range with Weber 45s and was a pig to drive around town, im sure there are ways around this as some people have no problems.

The power band of the BP285 is 2200-7000 and seeing as the pinto 205 components (rods etc) are only really good for 7500rpm max i think its a good match of power and driveability. At Bogg brothers with motorbike carbs on my 2.1 pinto was getting around 185bhp.

Andy

Guest jasonmorris
I've got a very similar spec engine to you and i have the piper 285 cam in. All i can say is its bloody quick and very driveable my dad had a RL cam in his old car and it had no power low down in the rev range with Weber 45s and was a pig to drive around town, im sure there are ways around this as some people have no problems.

The power band of the BP285 is 2200-7000 and seeing as the pinto 205 components (rods etc) are only really good for 7500rpm max i think its a good match of power and driveability. At Bogg brothers with motorbike carbs on my 2.1 pinto was getting around 185bhp.

Andy

mmmmmmm!!!!!! decisions, decisions.

I want the car to be quick enough as to not get totally shown up on trackdays, but also retain some driveability on the road. Think I will sit and ponder this one carefully. One thing is for sure, it seems like either the piper 285 or the RL31 are the ones to go for. God I hate making decisions that cost a few hundred quid :huh: <_<

Jason