Speedo Drive Unit

Guest Sharky

Guest Sharky

Hey Hoodies,

Just finishing off tarting up my Type 9 gearbox (with it's all new internals) this weekend and there are a couple of items I still need and wondered if anyone had any ideas/advice.

1. I need a new reversing light switch - the one I have fitted does work when I test it with my magic electric box, but the connector has seen better days, well what's left of it as as the connector is completely smashed! Any ideas where I can get a new one from?

2. I also need a new speedo drive unit of some sort or another - and here is where I have a dilemma! It appears from reading various entries on this site, that incorrect speedo reading is a pretty common fail on test and that electronic is the way to go. So I am thinking that rather than route a mechanical drive, a couple of lengths of electric string will be far easier.

Now, I currently have a hole where my speedo drive unit should be and I can see the worm drive on the shaft - so what do I do? Is there a blanking plug I should fit and would that come with all the necessary seals/gaskets etc? I am thinking that if the hole is sealed, then I could use a trigger wheel between the prop and diff coupling. OR Is there a system that fits directly in my hole and sends out electronic pulses (oo-er) to the speedo? Any help on that will save some beard scratching!

3. And finally, I want to fit a quickshift gear lever - before anyone points me to the shotening process, I haven't got a donor one to chop up. I've seen a quick shifter on a website called the gearboxman and they have a long and short one for a Type 9 - any ideas what that would mean and if it is the length of the gear lever, looking at where its going to fit in the Zero, I would think the short one is favourite - unless I want to use the gear knob to hold up a Surrey top as well!! :D

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

Sharky

Guest AWhite

Interesting i didn't know these were available can you connect these to any electronic speedo. If so how do you know which dip switches to set?

Sorry for hijacking the thread. ^_^

Andy

Andy

As far as i know yes , as with most speedos you get a speed/impulse chart with the dip switch setting info , you may need to do a few test drives with a GPS just to be on the safe side.

I am just using magnets at the mo but i may well change to one in the future if the magnets fly off again.

Even if you didnt have a chart someone would come along with a ball park setting nodoubt.

I have got the info for an Isspro speedo plus the info will most probably be available on the Speedo makers web site.

Mike

Guest Sharky

Thanks for that Miikae,

So all I need to do is screw the adapter in and then plug in the sensor and Robert's my mum's brother so to speak?

Any seals or gaskets needed at all?

Cheers

Sharky

I have fitted one of these adapters they are just held in by the geabox circlip and the sender is screwed in to that no seals etc, connected my etb guages and it gives me a reading still got to set it all up correctly yet.

Guest Sharky

Thanks Miikae,

I think my pay pal account will be gettin a hammering later! :good:

That's one more job out the way and ticked off the list!

Cheers

Sharky

You take it steady Sharky as you will nodoubt be wanting loads more stuff sooner or later, i know only too well as i am still spending, the only way to stop spending is to turn the computer off.

Mike