Fuel Swirl Pot

right, i need to make a swirl pot for my 2b. Am i right in thinking that they are just flow and return in from LP pump and tank? Then flow to HP pump and return back from FPR?

Could i make one out of 100mm copper with 10mm spigotts for the LP pump flow and return and 22mm flow for the HP pump and a 10mm spiggot for that return?

IM a heating engineer, and have no probs braising to blank the ends etc.

Ive allready got the materials so would just be saving money, just not sure if i can use the copper etc. Also do you think the sizes above will be ok or can i use 10mm for the HP aswell?

Guest Dan_Beeston

Hi Gareth,

Sounds sensible, my swirl pot has a feed to the HP pump in the bottom, feed in from LP pump and return from fuel rail nesr the top, and a return to the tank right at the top.

I don't see any problem with using copper?

The HP feed/return on mine are both the same size, I suspect the size may be important to get the right swirl from the pressure of the HP return. Too big, and you get low flow speed?

e.g.

http://www.sm-engineering.co.uk/alloy_fuel_surge_tank.php

Return is smaller, all the other ones are the same. Note the positioning of the HP take-offs, at the edge of the tank and half-way up or higher. I was told there are two kind of things here that people often confuse - one is a 'surge tank' to remove fuel surge during hard cornering, but the other more original reason for a 'swirl pot' was in racing to ensure you get air bubbles out of the fuel and also ensure you're not re-using the warmed fuel from the fuel rail over and over again but allowing it to mix with fresh cool fuel from the fuel tank.

So if all you want it an anti-surge device, you can forget worrying about all those design aspects ;)

Guest Dan_Beeston

Mine's almost exactly the same as the 'Type 1' design in the link above, except the fuel feed and return connections might be 8mm, I can't remember exactly...........

Mine is use to get round the fuel surge problem, as mentioned above, but also helps cool and de-aerate the fuel

Mine's almost exactly the same as the 'Type 1' design in the link above, except the fuel feed and return connections might be 8mm, I can't remember exactly...........

Mine is use to get round the fuel surge problem, as mentioned above, but also helps cool and de-aerate the fuel

mine is to feed the hp pump, obviously, but also when cornering to stop the fuel slopping about before it gets to the hp pump. Im also considering building a corsa pump and swirl pot into the origional tank. What do you think?