Drainage Holes

Guest timswait

Guest timswait

I've had my car on the road for a year and a half now, and was drilling a hole to screw an earth to near the bottom of one of the tubes and was alarmed when a load of water ran out. The tube must have been nearly full, and as my car has a mild steel chassis this could be a problem! Should I go round and drill small drainage holes in the bottom of every tube, or is this just more likely to let water in? The water which ran out was actually crystal clear, hardly rusty at all.

Guest Roger 2B

I can't remember where I read it, but I saw somewhere that Robin Hood are now recommending that drain holes are drilled in the tubes.

There was no mention of the best places to drill, I guess it is just all the lowest points.

I wondered about putting some of the Enginewise products inside the tubes. ( www.enginewise.co.uk )

Roger

If at first you don't suceed, don't try parachuting.

Im planning on putting bungs in my chassis even though it's stainless. The diameter is just right for the top off a 35mm film canister as long as it is one that over laps the body of the canister rather fitting inside.

Colin

On a mild steel chassis I would definitely drill small drainage holes AND plug the open ends to prevent most of the water getting in there in the first place. On a stainless chassis then plugging the holes is a good plan, drainage holes will let the water out, but at the end of the day it won't rust in two or three lifetimes anyway.

Ant

I had this occur, my car has not even been on the road yet!!

I look at every conceivable angle where the water could get into the tube but could not find any entrance.

Very bizarre!!!

I have drilled holes for drainage anyway, prob a good idea for all!

Stu :huh:

Guest peter2b2002

Hi all, on building my 2B m/s chssis every time i drilled a hole i gave it a sqirt of waxol + put bungs in the end of all the tubes and drilled drain holes1/4" in the bottom of the tubes,

cheers pete

Guest Battery Bill

Best ask Ianz if its OK to drill them would not like to upset him :lol: :lol:

Me personally I might drill one either side at the back end of the chassis just under each wheel arch :)