Vro Chassis Number

Guest IJW

I wrote to the dvla in birmingham requesting a chassis number and here is my letter of reply

Thank you for your letter regarding the allocation of a vro chassis numberfor you amateur/kit built vehicle.

In order for me to allocate a vro chasis number i would first need to receive the application forms and paperwork necessary to register the vehicle.Once i had checked the paper work i would need then to inspect the vehicle to ascertain that there was a need for a vro chassis number to be allocated.I would then allocate the vro chassis number and issue a v842 letterto enable you to have the number stamped into the chassis .The vehicle could then be taken for IVA.Once the IVA certificate had been issued and forwarded to me i would then be able to complete the registration process.

The police have expressed concerns about the amount of vro chassis numbers that are being issued for amateur/kit built vehicles.Where possible they would prefer the use of vro chassis numbers for vehicles of unknown origin and identity only.

With this in mind the instructions that i have are that you are able to create your own chassis number and have it stamped onto the chassis.The number must be between 9 and 17 characters long and should be made up using a mix of letters and numbers.Due to a computer system constraits you cannot use the letters Q,O or I

VCS INSPECTIONS

BIRMINGHAM LO

So in that i read i can just go ahead and make up my own chassis number without the need to fill out any forms or have an inspection until i have done IVA.

Ian

Guest combatsapph

That's correct - make your own up :-) Try and get your chassis construction date and engine number in their like normal cars :-)

Edited by combatsapph

Up until the "make your own up" that's pretty much what I had to do. I was told by the VRO that I MUST NOT make my own up so I filled in the docs saying where all the bits came from and then took it to them for an inspection after which they sent a letter telling me the chassis number AND the reg number that had been allocated.

As far as you are concerned you've got it in black and white that you can make your own number up so go for it but make sure you keep that letter safe.

Iain

Guest LukieZ

seems to be mixed opinions on this, as i understand it for the iva or rather dvla rules you must now use the full 17 charactors but since you've got it in a letter...

some dvla offices prefer to issue chassis numbers, but catch 22, you need one in the first place for forms, inspection etc etc. my office kept asking me where i got mine from - told them i simply made one up, which i received funny/worried looks. mine is unique enough with part of my name (not many with a Z) a number (my first build, thus 001), then letters for a hint of the cars nickname then finished off with numbers to mark the original date of purchase.

normal production cars usually use letters first (i.e. common chassis/style) then finish the rest with numbers.

however the letter is right about using the letters Q, O and I - i used an I in all the forms, but just looked at the V5 and its changed to a 1 instead. i think its to do with people could easily mistake the letters for something else especially if the hand written is hard to read!

Note: - read a previous post, which said to use 6 letters and 11 numbers which by coincidence matches mine! probably why it was accepted.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest scrabster

hi,i made my own number up 17 digits long on a chassis plate from gbs.no probs at sva,the woman at dvla (just across the road from sva in garretts green) said the number needs to be stamped directly on the chassis but no fail just an advisary.they seem to be fair at birmingham not like some test stations around the country.

jess.