Last Bit Of Help Needed!

Guest osteve123

Guest osteve123

Hi everyone, not been on here for a while, needed a break from my build! (busy with work etc).

I've got an S7, going for a re-test on my sva soon. Only a couple of problems, one being mph clock, the other being self centering.

I am working on the mph problem......may be back on this one....

The self centering.....I've pumped the tyres upto 50psi (front tyres), they look straight, caber at 0ish toe in 0ish, plus i've moved the top wishbones back using the washes. Any ideas of what i can do to make this work?

Cheers,

Steve

Guest mower man

Hi you need more caster angle! check Dave Wilson's site via the nw hoodies it will explain how to sort it a lot quicker than I can type !!!! REGARDS MOWERMAN [i run at nomore than 18 psi in 205/50/15 tyres 50 psi is loony and probably f------ dangerous]

Passed SVA on 3a with 0.5 negative degree camber, 3 degree castor and 2mm toe in. Made up gauges from bits of bent ally and plum lines. To get chassis level I put car on axle stands and took levels with straight edge across bottom of tyre treads (pack up stands till level), not off chassis rails. To set toe in run two paralell strings down side of car tied between four axle stands, then measure from string to wheel rim for and aft. My self centreing improved alot on drive to test station, main problem is the new ball joints on the suspension arms and steering rack. PS: Putting in too much caster ruins steering feed back. Thought I would have it set up professionally after its on the road, but it handles so well just left as is.

Guest osteve123

Well....

Got the top wishbones to the rear (managed to modify the headlamp mounts) on both sides. Got the extra washer behind the lower arm, giving me the maximum caster (at the moment). But still no change!!!

Spent 10 hours today trying every combination i can think off!!! Where's those matches...lol

Steve.

Guest osteve123

Got it sorted!!! Few!!!

Thanks for everyones help,

Had someone look at it today with fresh eye's etc!!! We moved the top of the shocks backwards towards the car slightly, sorted out the toe (only very slight now) and did the camber(almost vertical). And guess what.....self centreing has begun!!! Can only test it very limited, but it seems to work!!

Apparently I had done everything right, with loads of caster. But the main problem was that the shocks were pulling negative caster (so everything was fighting agaist each other).

Hope this may help someone else and save them over 10hrs work! lol

Steve

Guest osteve123

Hi Robin,

Its Tue next week at 2.30, Edmonton.

Just got to fit my fancy new speedo now! Its a Racetech one (to match my others) that Burtons has promised will work with my type 9 box electronic pick-up!

Everything is crossed! lol

Steve