Fuel Tanks

ibrooks

Just a thought so no torrents of abuse if you think it's a crap idea (I know you wouldn't anyway - but ;) ).

For those of you looking at fuel tanks it may be worth considering a Mini van/estate item. They look around the right size and they'll be internally baffled. They're also not as rare as you may think since there are places now manufacturing them new again. There were several stalls at Bingley at the weekend selling new ones for around £60 (how does that compare to the alternatives?). They are a kind of oblong that sits under the rear floor area of the Mini and the filler pipe sticks up almost vertically from the side and through the body side of the Mini. On a 2B, for example, you could either cut the filler neck off and use flexible tube to have the filler through the rear panel or it could be extended vertically and come through the side of the boot cover (one of the fixed side pieces - just don't spill fuel up there or it'll end up in the boot).

I didn't have my camera with me so I didn't get any photos unfortunately. I'll try and mug my cousin who seemed to snap everything in sight.

Iain

Guest Cantbearsed

:p An excellent suggestion. I'd thought of it myself as I have an old mini van/ estate tank sitting in my garage. You know, spare, just in case the old one leaks. 20 years it's been there... :rolleyes:

Size-wise it's not a bad fit and, as you've said, the filler neck is quite adaptable to make the thing work.

Then I found out the cost of the sender unit to go in the thing........ :(

Over £30 if you can find one. As they've been out of production since 1980, It ain't gonna be easy....