Zero Gbs Wiring Loom

Guest pencil

Hi

Has anyone made sense of the GBS wiring diagram?

The diagram I have has no Ident. for fuses, relays or brake light switch on it.

There appears to be only 1 feed to the head lights no supply to the oil gauge (1 to the oil light)

It would appear by the lengh of the wire, I have to wire the dash clocks somewhere in the tunnel!

John

PS I can make a multimeter go ping! thats it.

Guest mcramsay

ive had a fair bit of help figuring out my loom. well figuring it out was the easy bit but fuse box and relay wise its a nightmare if you dont know what you are doing. its really opening a can of worms to be honest. chances are your relays will be wired up competley wrong to start with. seems like every one building a zero so far has had this problem, secondly chances are you will have to rewire them anyway as the sierra switches (all dependant on the year they are from) but will cause you to need to rewire the relays. the loom isnt actually a bad loom once you get it going and figuire it all out. but i had a lot of help figuring it out! you will find that you will have to cut a few wires back and then extend a few. especially if you are going down the zetec route. as the loom is made with a pinto'd engined car in mind, just remember you can trim a wire back, but you cant add to it easily if you cut it back too far! if you really are struggling get an car electrics master to help. could be expensive but will save you a world of hassle.

Guest boggybogstar

Yes, I agree with Mcramsey .....

Designed for the Pinto but if your going down the Zetec route there's enough play in the wires to pull back and re route, my advice would be to loosely fit the loom, looking from the front of the car mine runs down the right hand side, then concentrate on one circuit at a time - the lighting circuit is a really good one to start with and just concentrate on the wires you need for that.

Search on here for 'lighting circuits' and link the colour codes from the GBS wiring diagram to the numbers on your column switches and redraw the circuit yourself - then connect it all up, you will as previously mentioned need to rewire your relays but to be honest it actually helps to understand the circuit rather than depend on GBS wiring !!

Remember, one circuit at a time and it will all start to fall in place.

I also seem to remember there was a single white feeding the rear brake pressure switch and fuel pump, which is fine unless your controlling the pumps through an ECU in which case the brake lights will only work when the ECU tells the pumps to work .....if things like that happen then just buy new wire and run a new independant circuit.

Failing all this give up hope now !!!!

Guest mac801123

Hi Old man :hi:

The first thing you need to find out is what switches you have.... Before 87 they are switch live and after 87 they are switch earth (and the relays need to be wired Differently)......

You will also need to fit more relays for things like the horn, fan and secondry fuel pump for the injection.

With the fuel pump take the earth to the ECU via a cut off switch (I used one from a mondeo).

thanks Mike :good:

Guest mac801123
so when in the stages of building the car do u start doing the wiring ????????

Hi Maco :hi:

I think the best time is when you got it to rolling chassis stage but befroe you fit the gearbox and engine.

I fitted the loom through the tunnel then cut a slot in the front tunnel top panel then put the fuse box through the fire wall into the engine bay.

Check out my build site and you should see what I mean.

Good luck with the wiring....

Thanks Mike :good:

Guest boggybogstar
hey

so when in the stages of building the car do u start doing the wiring ????????

matt

its not really something you can start and finish in one go, once you have a number of your panels on you can start to run the cables and do things like lights and indicators, then you do a few more buildy bits (like fit the engine!) and then carry on with the wiring - thats why it's better to concentrate on one circuit at a time.

Some people pull there wiring inside the box steel chassis so it's completely concealed, if thats the case you need to start as soon as youve prepped the chassis!!

Mine's been on the road since last February and I was still tweaking my wiring last weekend !!

its not really something you can start and finish in one go, once you have a number of your panels on you can start to run the cables and do things like lights and indicators, then you do a few more buildy bits (like fit the engine!) and then carry on with the wiring - thats why it's better to concentrate on one circuit at a time.

Some people pull there wiring inside the box steel chassis so it's completely concealed, if thats the case you need to start as soon as youve prepped the chassis!!

Mine's been on the road since last February and I was still tweaking my wiring last weekend !!

and dont worry i can still remember you telling me not to rivit the box where the wiring in so you have still got access in when ever you like lol

just another query is it easy to know witch wires to to use for each item e.g. front lights and speedo

and do you just put the wiring on one side of the chassis or do you use both sides ?

sorry im a novice :unsure: on electrics and really dont understand the diagram that gbs gave us :(

thanks matt

Guest smartfazer
sorry im a novice :unsure: on electrics and really dont understand the diagram that gbs gave us :(

thanks matt

Matt,

You mean to say that you got a wiring diagram from GBS???

You want to try the one you get with a 2B ;)

Steve

Matt,

You mean to say that you got a wiring diagram from GBS???

You want to try the one you get with a 2B ;)

Steve

yeh im sure i got one is the 2b one easier to understand or not ?

thanks matt

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Bagpuss

Hi,

I'm using the Zero wiring loom in my MK Indy. I've had to strip out the alternator wiring (as I had already got a nice setup there) but most of it goes in as is.

The loom came with a CD Rom containing the wiring diagrams, but the colour codes are standard. One thing I found useful was tapping off some additional feeds from the white wires in the usebox for my Acewell dash.

I've got a post 87 indicator stalk set, the wiring loom is for 85, but its easy enough to deal with. From off the top of my head, i changed the relay operation so it switched the live feed to the lights rather than the earth. The reason being that post 87 there is a separate earth line required for the headlight earth on one lamp (check the sierra wiring diagram) (I'm using GBS lights too). With the swap in wiring you use the 85 switch configuration and relay configuration but the realy switches the live feed on and not the earth through the switches. Well its something like that I did it a few months back :)