Brake Bias Valve

Guest boggybogstar

Guest boggybogstar

A fellow Zero owner gave me a couple of these after I converted to rear discs, to be honest the braking is fine but I would like to restrict it slightly (only slightly!)

post-3125-1261331653_thumb.jpg

but in true hoodie style I took one apart to see how they work and when I fitted the other the barrel was cross threaded, as these dont have a ball bearing do they restrict the rear braking pressure enough? if so then I'll get another. (ps - what are they called because I cant find these on google/ebay)

If not then I'll use one of these,

post-3125-1261331689_thumb.jpg

however I will have to fit it in my tunnel and there's not enough room for the adjuster wheel - so can I fit it on its side or does it have to be upright?

Thanks

Tony

Guest qwerty_100
A fellow Zero owner gave me a couple of these after I converted to rear discs, to be honest the braking is fine but I would like to restrict it slightly (only slightly!)

post-3125-1261331653_thumb.jpg

but in true hoodie style I took one apart to see how they work and when I fitted the other the barrel was cross threaded, as these dont have a ball bearing do they restrict the rear braking pressure enough? if so then I'll get another. (ps - what are they called because I cant find these on google/ebay)

If not then I'll use one of these,

post-3125-1261331689_thumb.jpg

however I will have to fit it in my tunnel and there's not enough room for the adjuster wheel - so can I fit it on its side or does it have to be upright?

Thanks

Tony

Hi Tony

I have used one of these and for the price brought 3 as I have been told they can play up after a while. Kev

360155387015 ebay number

Guest boggybogstar

thanks for the ebay link - for some reason I just couldnt find them on ebay and have now ordered a couple !!!

So the question is .... how much of an effect do these type have?, most have fitted the ones with an adjuster wheel or ones with a ball bearing that have to be mounted at a certain angle, however I dont really want to completely re-run my brake lines so I'm assuming by just putting this in line will give me the slight adjustment I need?

I wasnt convinced because you can blow through them, but after taking one to bits it looks like when the fluid is under pressure the internal spring is compressed which restricts the fluid - I hope !

Hi Tony,

I have been looking for a reducing valve as well.

Are these the type that screw into the master cylinder

and then you fit the pipe to the reducer?

Or do you fit them inline?

Cheers

John

Guest qwerty_100
Hi Tony,

I have been looking for a reducing valve as well.

Are these the type that screw into the master cylinder

and then you fit the pipe to the reducer?

Or do you fit them inline?

Cheers

John

Hi Guys

I had no problems with obtaining the correct connectors from my local motor factors but if you have a problem please PM me and I will buy some and post them out or give you the part numbers Regards Kev

Guest boggybogstar

Hi John

yes they are but for this type you'll need a female to male convertor to screw directly into the Master cylinder, I dont have any room there so I'll just be fitting mine in-line in the tunnel (where I already cut and flanged the brake pipe today !!)

Are you sure its a pressure reducer? No expert but to me it looks like a residual pressure valve? Design to keep a low residual brake pressure in the calipers to minimise pedal travel when re applying the brakes. Personally I use a Mini brake limiter in the rear brake circuit. Can be drilled out and made adjustable after IVA.

Guest Alan_builder

:mellow:

I think you may be putting this in the wrong lines!

If you had rear drums you would be!

The bit off of the Sierra is there to stop the rear end locking up prior to the front. The Sierra without rear passengers a boot full of luggage (tools) and tank of petrol is light at the rear end. The weight distribution is poor! The Hood has a much closer weight distribution to the 50:50 than the Sierra at about 75:25. If the discs, pads and cylinders are all the same sizes then the Hood would not need any brake bias but the rears are smaller so you need extra force on the rear not less.

All the Hoods I have driven lock up at the front first suggesting the above is true.

No I am not sure I would reduce the front braking by using one of these. Fit better cylinders on the rear.

I :wub: my :rhsc:

Guest chris brown

I agree with Alan, the Hood even with discs all round will lock up the fronts first without the need for any restrictor I did away with the restrictor on mine to get a better brake balance. Remember if you do fit an adjustable one it has to be locked for IVA or the brakes have to pass with the adjuster adjusted to both ends of its adjustment.

Guest old_timbo

There seems to be big differences in how different 'Hoods brake's work. My 2B with standard 2.OL Sierra discs and drums was lethal when I first got it as it locked the rears way before the fronts. A std Sierra bias valve was fitted in the rear brake line, so I junked it and fitted an adjustable valve instead. Great now. IMHO you would be very lucky to set the std Sierra valve at just the right angle to get the brake balance correct. So if you have a balance problem with the rears, an adjustable valve allows you to experiment. Don't think an adjustable valve is acceptable for IVA though.

In retrospect have the feeling that front pad material makes a big difference, and I've probably got something cheap and nasty. If I fitted some decent pads I might find that the balance shifted back to the front, and it would feel over servo'd. Certainly I wouldn't like to run without a servo at the moment, but for a lot of folk no servo seems to work fine.

Tim

Guest boggybogstar

Well I fitted this one from ebay in line to my rear discs

post-3125-1262111338_thumb.jpg

Previously my front disc/rear drums worked fine, but after changing to an LSD Diff with rear discs, which in my opinion looks a whole lot better, the rear wheels locked up before the front ones.

I took her out for a spin yesterday after fitting this unit and what a difference, fantastic - breaking is absolutley superb and the ratio is just what I want, did a couple of hard brakes on corners and it handled perfectly.

I also replaced my DOT 4 with DOT5.1 which I think helps.

mind you, maybe it was the fact that the weather was good yesterday and it was my first drive out in over a month !!!!!!!