Rh Loom Warning Light Issues

Guest Steve

Hi,

I have fitted a new Vicki Green loom and ETB gauges / warning lights to my 2B Pinto and have got the engine running, lights working etc but have three problems as follows:

The brake warning light wont work with or without the handbrake engaged?

The ignition warning light doesn't come on when the ignition is turned on, it only lights up once the engine is running and the revs go past a certain point. I have a voltmeter and it shows that the system is charging?

Oil warning light will not come on at all, again oil gauge shows that this is OK?

Any ideas welcome

Steve

Steve,

I know nothing about the Vicki Green loom but do remember that a common line to the lights you talk about is a +ve ignition supply to them all. The brake light then goes on through a -ve return via the fluid level or handbrake switch, and the oil light through a -ve return via the oil pressure switch. The ignition light gets its return when the engine is not running through the alternator. With the engine running the alternator output goes positive and therefore extinguishes the light.

With the way you describe things as happening it sounds as if the common line to all these three lights is connected to either a -ve somewhere or a return to -ve via some other light or relay which causes the IGN light to illuminate when the engine is running and the other two not to glow at all.

Try tracing back the common line for all three lights and see where that gets you. Find out what else it's connected to that line though before banging it onto an ignition switched positive supply.

Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Bernie.

Bernie,

I know that the common line goes to earth so that is probably the problem. Thanks for that tip as it would never have occurred to me. Still, one Vicki Green loom in and working and only that as a problem is fine by me.

Steve