V8

Guest lenin

if anyone had any experiance on doing sutch a thing ??

Didnt Robin Hood do that a few years back just to prove it could be done and the chassis was up to it, or i may be dreaming again! :blink:

Guest Tim Norman

But not in a 2b and it wasn't quite the standard monocoque. I've seen it and there is not much room under the bonnet. You couldn't even get a fag paper in there. Not even a Rizla :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anythings possible. One of the northwest guys has done it I think but apparently it was a big job. Just looking at it I would however think that the latest spaceframe hoods are probably the easier cars to fit it in as the panels are only a skin and not structural (OK they'll add strength but they're not the whole strength of the car). With the proper gear and skill (welding) the chassis mods shouldn't be too difficult (just time consuming and thought provoking). After that you just have to skin over the result - think NASCAR.

I think the biggest job is to fit the Rover box as it's wider than the Sierra offerings. Try Magnum Engineering as they do a conversion to fit a V8 on the end of a Ford type-9. It has to be the version with the long input shaft, ex V6, though.

There was a V8 converted Sierra on e-bay the other day - but it was a rally beast so not sure if it had the V5 that you'd need to get the age related plate come SVA. From memory since it was a competitive runner it was also expensive.

Iain

Guest alan rowe

mine is a S7 with a 3.9 Rover using a Sierra gearbox, Rover clutch converted to a cable clutch, the rest of the car uses the original Sierra donor - its probably as light as a Ford powered S7 and handles really well - space under the bonnet is not too bad - just the lid had to be modified - see pic on "Gallery" - the yellow one

alan

Tim's right,

A friend of a friend of mine has what might be called a 'factory prototype' V8 engined hood. It's certainly not a 2B and as Tim says I think there are a lot of mods to the monocoque. I don't think he's a community member but he's a paid up club member and often takes the car to shows and track days. I'll do my best to find out some more info. An old copy of Boys in Hoods has an article on the car I think but I suppose as you're looking for a 2B it won't be much use!

nelly

Guest mickmellors

The v12 Jag engine was so tight it had to be partially stripped and put into the monocoque a chunk at a time and ireally did FILL the bonnet space.

It was done to prove a point and to silence some jealous and gobby critics that bad mouthed over the question of the strength of the chassis at the time.

I think the "'factory prototype' V8 engined hood" is my dad's car. Is it a green and stainless one you were thinking about. It was a one off prototype with a higher bonnet line to cope with the engine.

I know of a couple of people that have done this. In the 3 series I think you have to modify the tunnel to get everything in. It is worth it in the end. It's like nothing else performance wise.

Andy

Andy - if your old man is Paul (which would make sense given your surname) then yes! I knew he had a son called Andy but I hadn't made the connection - durrrr :wacko:

I know your Dad through my best bud Haff (you might know him as Mark from the badminton club). One day he's threatened to take me out for a drive in it but I'm having trouble finding someone who'll sell me life insurance :lol:

Perhaps next time we're up in your neck of the wood staying with Haff and the Mrs, we'll meet up.

cheers

nelly

392 BAD! I knew it was some number then BAD but couldn't quite remember.

I thought I'd cheated buying mine part-finished (see my avatar) but I ended up taking it all apart as nothing had been done quite properly.

Actually the build has been on standstill over winter. I'm still at the bare chassis stage and not looking forward to cleaning up all the bits off the Sierra. Ah well - no gain without pain. I have an old man too - he's desperate to be involved so I suppose I could let him do all the nasty stuff! "What? After all he's done for you?" I hear legions of Dads screaming!

Some might call it a son's petty revenge for nothing in particular but I like to think of it as 'teamwork'! :lol: