Wiring For The Colour Blind

Guest V8K

have thought about stripping a mk2 fiesta down the scrappy and labling as i go along as this would save me calling on my electronics mate as i cant keep buying his beer and dont fancy strriping down a box full of sierra wiring .p.s did i say i was colour blind has anyone tried this if so is there any problems im likly to have

RHSC actually recommend this method of removing the loom, as you still having something to go on when it is all out of the car.

If you are familiar with a loom you may get away without labelling it but if, like me, you leave it a while between removal and refitting, it gets quite complicated trying to remember where everything goes.

If you label it it makes things much simpler, all you have to do then is reconnect and remove labels.

This would help if you are colour blind as you would not have to rely on the haynes manual so much or other people and therefore safe your beer tokens for yourself! You can also give yourself a big pat on the back when it works!

HTH

Stu :D

Guest Nick B.

I too am colour blind.

I stripped out the sierra loom and labelled it up very carefully. I am using a combination of the Haynes manual, my labels and a lot of bright light and squinting at the wires to work out what colour they are. Fingers crossed for when I connect the battery!

Best thing is about my colour blindness is that I work in the Design and Print industry but dont tell my customers! OR my Boss!

Guest FIRSTBUILD

one of the biggest highs that i have had so far on the build was when the battery was connected and some things worked ! I was really really concerned by the loom strip - its not all done yet but you do get a lot more confident as you go along.

Steve

Have to agree with you there Steve - it's very satisfying connecting stuff only to find that it goes and works!

I helped a friend wire up his Series 1 one week last Summer. We didn't have a loom and he'd built the basics - fuse box and main connections (ignition etc.,) - from scratch! He too is colour blind so was grateful for a second seer. We used a circuit diagram a friend had drawn, the Haynes manual and a book on car electrics. We also used our experiences of what went wrong as we connected further circuits! It was fun trying to work out why, when we turned on the left indicator, the right headlamp glowed dimly and the petrol pump ran! We kept individual diagrams of each part of the circuit - switches, fuses, relays etc., - and built up a big diagram that looked like a map of the London underground that had got lost in a wool factory! To this day I don't know how we managed it but we did!

I'm nowhere near ready to fit the loom on my build but I enjoyed stripping it from the donor and it's labelled about every 3cm! I've taken out as much as I dare - central locking, stereo speakers and electric window circuits - without actually cutting anything, but it remains to be seen whether it'll work in the hood.

V8K - From my experience with the Series 1, I'd say connect each circuit one at a time and deal with any problems as you go along. It's a lot easier to trace a short circuit or unwanted ground in just one circuit.

hope that's helpful,

nelly

thanks for the input guys its all swaying me towards the the fiesta loom as there is no electric windows , sunroof , mirrors and all that fancy add on stuff the sierra has .

so no need for me sit and strip unwanted stuff (or even maybe wanted stuff in my case :boohoo: :( ) out and there is also a smaller fuse box so locating it somwhere in reach would be possible

All

Did you know.................that................women (and girls :p )............are very unlikely to be colour blind?

So ask a female for help with the wiring (and were to put the battery :rolleyes: )

Dave