Ptfe Brake Connections

gncgray

Morning all

First of all what a great day to be working on your kit. Suns out and so is the wife, radio on and a cup of coffee. Can life get any better.

My question is.....when you connect all your brake pipe unions do we put PTFE around them first?

Ta

Graham

The threads of the fittings are there only to compress and hold the flared end of the copper pipe hard against it's mating componet. Beware of over tightening the joints though, too tight is often worse than too loose.

HTH,

Nick.

I often do but not for any sealing properties - as already mentioned that'd done by the pipe deforming to the shape of the seat it's mating on. The PTFE I use is to reduce corrosion in the threads of the fittings and hopefully make life easier if I have to pull it apart again in a few years time - more relevant on bleed nipples usually.

Iain

Guest Ian & Carole
I often do but not for any sealing properties - as already mentioned that'd done by the pipe deforming to the shape of the seat it's mating on. The PTFE I use is to reduce corrosion in the threads of the fittings and hopefully make life easier if I have to pull it apart again in a few years time - more relevant on bleed nipples usually.

Iain

Iain

Get your self a tube of copper grease and use that on all your brake parts.

Spark plug theads etc.

Worth its weight in gold.