Seat Space

enforcer

I'm picking up my 2004 2B kit on the 28th Feb, having waited an eternity. In the summer I acquired a pair of black half-leather seats from a Rover 620. They're as new and a bargain at 40 quid but will they fit?

I would prefer to keep them on their runners, which will be flat once I've drilled out the rivets holding the Rover mounting brackets. I'm a bit of a short-arse anyway so hopefully the height will be ok. However in order to mount the seats on the runners I need an available width of 20". Could someone please confirm for me if there is 20" of available floor space between the tunnel panel and the side of the chassis? :unsure:

Guest mkeats02

There is about 21" on my sub-k, depends how much of a short arse you are though. The tunnel changes direction when you get by the gear box, resulting in less room. You will just have to hope they fit, the only way to know is try!!

Mike

Hello.

I believe the biggest factor to affect the fitment of these seat is where you fit the hand brake.

Fit it as per RHSC and they may fit but may not. But if you fit the hand brake on the tunnel top as some have then I'm sure they will fit.

Very nice seats I tryed to buy some for my tin top a few years ago and they were like rocking horse s**t. Best price I found them was £100 a pair.

The handbrake can always go on the tunnel top. The biggest problem is leg room. I'm 6'5 and putting a seat in front of the rear suspension protrusions lost me about 6" of potential leg room. My solution was to make a bench seat (see my web site for details). This is bearable, but a bit more leg room would be better. I'm currently considering either removing some of the foam from my bench seats, or fitting a fibreglass shell seat of the type sold by lolocost - the sort of thing that goes in a go-kart.

Ant

Guest TerryBarry

To answer your original question

There is about 20.5" between the tunnel wall and the tubes on the outside of the chassis (without carpet fitted).

The Recaro seats that RH supply are about 20" wide in the swab area (where it matters) and they are a close fit.

The gap narrows as the tunnel widens to accomodate the gearbox - this might be a problem if you are really short in the leg.

If you keep the handbrake in the RH position this will only affect the passenger's seat which can be fixed as far back as possible - you can always fit a foot rest if you have a petite passenger.

If you want any more dimensions I can run a rule over mine as it is still in course of construction.

HTH

Terry

Thanks everyone..

I think I'll leave the seats alons for now until I'm ready to trial fit them. At least this way I'll know if they're going to be any good before I start removing the Rover brackets.....otherwise they'll be off to ebay! Sounds hopeful though :D

Guest brummy-ade

EBAY you find loads of seats on there but they do fetch a bit i just got a pair off there will just fit my exmo i already been to the guys house to measure them as the exmo is bloody tight.

oh well i know what i am doing this weekend :D

ade